UT Doe Antelope Hunt Report

sdolan617

May 30, 2018
South OC
*Obligatory Larry long-post warning. Skip to the bottom for the TLDNR*

Most people would probably say I'm crazy for driving 7+ hours to try fill a doe antelope tag and they're probably right. However, after missing out tags I thought were sure things in Wyoming and Arizona, it sounded like a fun consolation prize to scratch my out of state hunting itch and spend the weekend camping out in a unit known for producing big ‘ol bucs. Plus chasing antelope is a nice change of pace from grinding away in D16: ample public land, plenty of action, easily glassable terrain, high success rates, limited pressure… what's not to love.

Day 1: Left Thursday afternoon, stopped off in Mesquite, NV for the night and was in the unit hunting by 8:00am Friday. No sooner did I pull of the 15 onto BLM did I spot a little yearling buck. Good sign – I’m already into antelope. About 2 hours later I get onto a big herd. Fortunately they are in an area with some actual terrain, a rarity for this unit… I gear up and make a stalk. I’m able to take cover behind a small rise and get within 300 yards undetected. Bust out the glass and start looking over the herd. Holy smokes, there’s more than I saw initially, at least 20. They’re bedded in the sage and the shade of some small bushes. One buck is an absolute dandy – length, mass, prongs – he has it all, absolute class above the rest. Curse myself for leaving the phone scope in the car. Remember I’m here to kill a doe not watch bucks and get the rifle ready. Find a doe and hit her with the range finder, 268… well within range. Get the scope on her, she's broadside, and then……… start finicking and getting picky with my rest like an idiot. Well I’m busy playing with myself, 1 of those 20 sets of eyes spots some movement and they decide they don’t like it and they begin sauntering off. I would quickly come to regret not taking advantage of this opportunity.

Nevertheless, make a guess I can head them off in the direction they’re heading so I back out quietly to the car and gun it about quarter mile down the road and then full on sprint to the edge of a draw where I think they’re be making there way bye shortly. Before I even have a chance to set up the tripod, I spot prongs peeking out around the corner 50 yards below me. Shit, wasn’t expecting them to be that quick, I freeze in place, gun still strapped to my pack, not ideal… Only play now is to watch the show. Still frozen, I watch a bachelor group of maybe 5-6 bucks file by basically single file, occasionally feeding. One of the cooler experiences I’ve had being that close to a bunch of pronghorn bucks with no idea I’m there. As it turns, the rest of the herd and all the does broke of a different direction with the dandy buck. Attempt a couple stalks on them, but they’re way out in the flats now and they’re on to me, no closing that distance.

Spend the rest of the day driving the unit (which is humongous) and only see 2 loner bucks on public. Begin to start questioning myself. Did I totally blow it not taking that chip shot when I had it? Regardless, feel like a crossed a good portion of the unit off the list that afternoon so I’m encouraged going into day 2.

Day 2: Figure out pretty early, that these antelope on public have been being chased for 3 seasons (Archery Buck, Buck Rifle, 1st Doe Season, and now second week of 2nd Doe Season) and they are (1) even more skittish than normal, blowing out at the sight of any rig and (2) seem to generally be staying pretty clear from the BLM roads. Switch up tactics and spent the day mostly hiking, focusing on the land out of sight from the road.

Spot a group of 4 does in the flats. They see me but are content to watch me for now. Range them at 525. Nothing but knee high sage between me and them; no chance to close the distance. Get the scope on them but I’m already questioning the shot. Gun is plenty capable to that range and I know I can make that shot off a bench but I just haven’t done enough shooting at those distances off an improvised rest to feel super comfortable. (That’s on me, no excuses, need to get more comfortable with those shots) 450 was kind of the arbitrary number I had in my head going in. While I’m debating will I/won’t I these does decide they’ve had enough and blow out to the next county. I then second guess this decision for the rest of the day.

Rest of day 2 goes similar to this – hike my ass off, spot antelope anywhere from 800-1200 yards away, attempt an ill-fated stalk in this barren, wide open, country and get blown out somewhere before even sniffing 500 yards.

Waste the evening trying to change tactics and access the BLM by the agg fields on private where antelope are feeding. Ultimately give up when I’m continually met with no trespassing signs.

Spirits at all time low – those were my only two hunt days. Original plan was to leave early Sunday but I feel like I’m consistently getting into antelope and it’s only a matter of time before I get lucky or they make a mistake… Call the old lady and work and tell them change of plans, I’m not leaving!

1603238032219.png

Day 3: Wake up Day 3, it’s my birthday so I’m feeling like luck has to be in my favor. No sooner do I pull off the 15 on to BLM do I see 3 does in the sage at maybe 500 yards. Looks like the gods are smiling on me. Resist the urge to slam on breaks, just passing through, let them continue think everything is ok. Pull around the bend out of sight and park it, back track a quarter mile and work back on them from the opposite side of the rise. Come around the rise and they are, looks about 300. They see me, only a matter of time till they blow out, no time to range it, pick one out, steady the crosshairs, BLOUCH! Shot feels good, feels like I dropped it in its tracks but can’t see due to the sage bushes. I see 2 antelope bounding off, another good sign. Sprint up there and….. no antelope (uh oh). Grid out and start searching but no blood (definitely not a good sign). Begin to question everything I know. Spend the next 30-40 mins gridding the area, how the tf is there no blood? Had to have been a clean miss? Doesn’t feel possible, I know that shot felt good. Did I shoot over its back…

Literally walk all the way back to truck and begin to pack up. At this point I’m spiraling. About to call it off and just head home. Take one last look at the area where I’m thinking I shot this antelope and notice a second smaller rise off to the side. Hmm wait a second, is it possible I get turned around in the sage and was searching the wrong area for this doe?

Decide to check one more time and walk back out and oh thank god, there she is – curled up right where she stood. Cue the overwhelming sense of relief. To have had to work for this one and to have it come together on my birthday when it was in doubt definitely makes it that much sweeter.

Get to work butchering and count my blessings that this one happened to be within earshot of the road. Freezer filled, mission accomplished.

TLDNR: Drove 7+ hours to Utah, learned some new country, saw some dandy bucs, took longer than I would have thought to shoot a doe but got it done in the end.

IMG_5633.jpgIMG_5636.jpg

Congrats man! Thanks for the disclaimer but I enjoyed the read. Just drove through Utah and it's some beautiful country. Way to stay after it man and get it done. Cheers

Reactions: sdolan617
Nice report. Enjoyed the read. The ability of antelope to spot motion 1000 yards away is pretty impressive ... and frustrating. Congrats on sticking with it and filling the freezer!

Great way to write your story. I feel you. Me and my son just drove 12 hr to Salt Lake and then 4 more to Grouse Creek. Worth every mile... This land is beautiful.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu