Utah 2015 Applications - I'm Done

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Mar 8, 2011
San Diego, Ca.
Just finished up my Utah applications. Next is Nevada then Colorado. Below are the hunts I applied for this year. in the meantime, my points continue to build -

Hunt Choice(s)
Hunter Name App Fee Permit Fee
=====================================================================
JOHN $10.00 $568.00
This application is for 1 hunter only.
1) 1003 - Premium LE Rifle Buck Deer (ANY LEGAL WEAPON) - Henry Mtns (Oct 17 - 25, 2015)
2) 1004 - Premium LE Rifle Buck Deer (ANY LEGAL WEAPON) - Paunsaugunt (Oct 17 - 25, 2015)

JOHN $10.00 $800.00
1) 3062 - Limited Entry Rifle Bull Elk (ANY LEGAL WEAPON) - Plateau, Fishlake/Thousand Lakes (Sept 12 - 20, 2015)
2) 3025 - Limited Entry Rifle Bull Elk (ANY LEGAL WEAPON) - Beaver, East (Sept 12 - 20, 2015)

JOHN $10.00 $293.00
1) 5046 - Limited Entry Rifle Buck Pronghorn (ANY LEGAL WEAPON) - San Rafael, North (Sept 12 - 20, 2015)
2) 5049 - Limited Entry Rifle Buck Pronghorn (ANY LEGAL WEAPON) - Southwest Desert (Sept 12 - 20, 2015)

JOHN $10.00 $1,518.00
1) 6502 - Bison (ANY LEGAL WEAPON) - BookCliffs,WildHorseBench(hunterschoice) (Nov 28, 2015 - Jan 31, 2016)

JOHN $10.00 $1,518.00
1) 6611 - Desert Bighorn Sheep (ANY LEGAL WEAPON) - Zion (Sept 12 - Oct 11, 2015)

JOHN $10.00 $1,518.00
1) 6800 - Mountain Goat (ANY LEGAL WEAPON) - Beaver (Sept 5 - 20, 2015)

JOHN $10.00 $1,518.00
1) 6006 - Bull Moose (ANY LEGAL WEAPON) - North Slope, Summit (Sept 12 - Oct 15, 2015)

JOHN $10.00 $1,518.00
1) 6701 - Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep (ANY LEGAL WEAPON) - Book Cliffs, South (Oct 31 - Nov 30, 2015)

JOHN $10.00 $0.00
1) GDR - General Deer Preference Point

Nice. John, thanks for the tip on Huntin' fool magazine. Just got the subscription

I think that we applied for all the same areas haha, im sure you have more points then I do though....you cant build pp buy applying for the draw you have to buy a point for the general deer tag or will you still receive one if you don't draw a tag ?

You will receive one if you do not draw. I put in for the same areas every year. I will draw sooner or later.

if you get drawn for beaver hit me up(not like you need it but if you do want the info let me know) hunted spike and have several areas I could give you that we saw monsters they are a hike but man were they awesome. no spike shot not cause we did not see them just not the best shot opportunity so none taken.

These micro units suck I remember the good ol days archery deer tags were otc and you could hunt half the state

So the 90 bucks you spent including the PP you bought, just how many PP will you get? say you dont draw any(yeh right)will you get one for each hunt?
BTW: the Henrys are legendary
and the Book Cliffs are on my bucket list guess I should start applying.

It was actually $155 ($65 license). You get a point for every species and two for deer (1 for general buck and 1 for premium buck).

It is unlikely I will draw anything due to the odds in each area applied. Two things that I count on though, one is you can't draw a premium tag if you don't put in for it and two is every year my odds go up because of my points accumulation.

I do this in 11 different states every year so at some point I will be able to hunt in a good area every year. I have double digit points in several states so my time is coming. And you can always get lucky without having massive points built up too.

You have to start somewhere and time flies. It is a process but my thoughts are that if you like to hunt it makes sense to start applying. The key is being consistent and patient. It works for me anyway...

NBK said:
It was actually $155 ($65 license). You get a point for every species and two for deer (1 for general buck and 1 for premium buck).

It is unlikely I will draw anything due to the odds in each area applied. Two things that I count on though, one is you can't draw a premium tag if you don't put in for it and two is every year my odds go up because of my points accumulation.

I do this in 11 different states every year so at some point I will be able to hunt in a good area every year. I have double digit points in several states so my time is coming. And you can always get lucky without having massive points built up too.

You have to start somewhere and time flies. It is a process but my thoughts are that if you like to hunt it makes sense to start applying. The key is being consistent and patient. It works for me anyway...

I am starting to do this as well, atleast this year I am applying for all the states that I can apply without having to give the money up front. may I ask what states you apply for and if you apply for all states that don't require you to up front the money ?

Get a subscription to Hunting Fool It has a great deal of info pre draw and after you draw......and you can call them with any questions

I have a buddy that's into the draws in almost every state for around 2K a year for the last 13 years. He still hasn't drawn much other than a coues hunt in AZ. Now he's still in the draws but he's been getting tired of not drawing....especially after he totaled his cost over the years 20K can get you some nice hunts on private land with great animals to chase.

Me I like to hunt a lot so I spend most of my money on hunts not draws....plus NR get screwed in the odds.
I look for hunts that most don't know about......leftover tags, PLM, IR, private prop hunts ect......it keeps my freezer full and I'm all over the place from birds to BG......plus offshore fishing takes up about 3k a year........did I tell you I don't buy much meat at the store

I'm glad guys go all in for the draws otherwise those states would be hurting for F&G funding

I won't have time to hunt Utah this year but I put in for pref points only: limited entry deer, elk and pronghorn, and general season deer. With nonresident license, total was $105.

Bonejour said:
I won't have time to hunt Utah this year but I put in for pref points only: limited entry deer, elk and pronghorn, and general season deer. With nonresident license, total was $105.

Strong work Don...

Don't forget with Utah their hunting license is good for 1 calender year so if you purchase after the draw opens and apply when it opens the following year you will only need to purchase 1 license for every 2 years.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu