Utah Thunder Chicken

sdolan617

May 30, 2018
South OC
Took a couple seasons to figure it out but I'm finally on the board with my first Turk. Ended up driving to Southern Utah on the early LE tag to make it happen. Now its time to see if I can put it all together here in the 16.

Hunted basically sun up to sun down on Fri/Sat with pretty minimal action - saw plenty of birds on private but only struck up one stubborn Tom on public. Heard this guy gobbling from the roost early Sunday and was able to sneak in pretty close. He flew down and put on a good show but hung up at about 45yrds. Luckily the TSS 7/&9 blend did its job and it was lights out. Beautiful first bird: 15ish lbs, 7.75" beard, <1" spurs.SD Utah 2021.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on a fine bird....Sadly, southern Utah ain't what it used to be....I'll be roaming those mountains in about 2 weeks....Did you see many other hunters....Last year was a zoo.... :worried:

Nice job. Was hoping to run out to Utah this weekend for the first time to do some scouting on some spots I’ve found on google earth/ onX. As long as work lets me I’d like to hunt the general season this year.

Reactions: sdolan617
Congrats on a fine bird....Sadly, southern Utah ain't what it used to be....I'll be roaming those mountains in about 2 weeks....Did you see many other hunters....Last year was a zoo.... :worried:
First time hunting turkeys in Utah so I don't have a great baseline to compare it too but I definitely ran into more hunters than I expected for the second weekend of the early LE season. I had figured most of the locals would have been tagged out already. Had my Saturday morning plans scrapped when another hunter beat me to the punch on a small chunk of public.

Reactions: utahduckhunter

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu