Vortex Razor HD

Randomshot

Feb 12, 2012
Lakeside, CA
I've been eyeballing some new spotting scopes and have read stellar reviews on the Vortex Razor. Has anyone had a chance to look through one of these yet? The price is roughly half of what a Zeiss or Swarovski cost and the warranty is good but I'd like to hear some more opinions before pulling the trigger off of reviews. I called Bass Pro to see if Icould check one out in person but the Rancho store didn't have any.

ONEAZBOWHUNTER has one he said it was very good. Think he is guiding some hunters so wait for him to get back on here, he can give you the lowdown on it.

Jon, I almost bought one from sportsmans while working in New Mexico, it was as good as anything else I looked through (4 total) by one from Cabelas and you have 30 days to return it with no questions asked, they will even pay the return shipping. I have a pair of Vortex Viper 10X50 and like them, but after I bought them I found out the glass is made in Japan, the balance is USA.

The Japanese glass is excellent. Most Vortex Binoculars are made in Philippines except for the Vortex Viper, Razor, and Kaibab which are made in Japan. Those are the three you want to buy. Also, in the Philippine factory it is Burris who is doing their manufacturing.

So when you have a Vortex with Japanese glass, that is a good thing. Keep in mind that Nikon and Canon are Japanese glass and it is some of the best camera glass in the world.

While I don't have any experience with the Razor line, I do have a Viper PST sitting on my Ruger M77 Target. Overall, it's very nice glass for the money. It's clear, the adjustments are solid and repeatable, and the focus is sharp. I'd have no hesitation buying one again.

I use the Vortex Viper 10x42 binoculars and I really like them. I went up to Rancho Bass Pro hoping to look at this scope as well as the Bushnell Elite but they didn't have either. I like the pack-ability of the Elite but the Vortex will definitely get a look from me after my previous experience with their glass.

It's an XLNT spotting scope.and I'll say this my guide boss has a Zeiss spotting scope that costs a fortune i'm guessing..after looking through both side by side..the Razor is....BETTER!

oneazbowhunter said:
It's an XLNT spotting scope.and I'll say this my guide boss has a Zeiss spotting scope that costs a fortune i'm guessing..after looking through both side by side..the Razor is....BETTER!
Thanks for the info I really wanted to hear from someone with real experience with it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu