Waders????

TRICER

Dec 20, 2014
tricerusa.com
What pair of waterfowl waders do you guys recommend. I really feel like I need something breathable since most my water fowling is done down at the river. It seem like most of the waders available are for colder weather if I go with a 3.5 mm neoprene am I going to sweat to death when I am moving? I would almost rather a pair that I could wear layers under. Below is links to two pairs that I am thinking about getting on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004V9XWJ2?colid=1QM7IYQ76SL1A&coliid=I210FSAW1OU70B&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Company-Shadowgrass-Camouflage-Bootfoot/dp/B003TWHKTA/ref=pd_sim_200_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=41jvH6okUnL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=14B0PX000NY13NRKBS8Z

Go with lightweight and breathable. This is California. You aren't hunting in any extreme weather, and if you need to you can always add a layer. I have breathable waders and regardless of the time of year, where I'm hunting, by the time I make it to the blind, I'm soaked with sweat.

The standard is the cabelas dry plus, they just work and are not to evil to patch if you Poke holes in them. Only down side is the inseam is not ideal for tall guys. If you are 6' and under you are good to go. I wear the dry plus wader pants but I only boat hunt or hunt skinny water http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Mens-Breathable-Hunting-Chest-Waders-with-Thinsulate-and-MOST-DRY-PLUS-Regular/731363.uts

Always go breathable. The technology with breathable is great. No purpose for neoprenes. I hunt in temps under 0 here in CO and I will never go back to neoprene.

Go on the Sierra trading post site. Some great waders on their currently. At the minimum you can find a 25% off coupon from retailmenot.com... sometimes 40% off coupons pop up too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Plus 1 on all the breathable comments......I have neo's, but only fish in them now......Breathable's do NOT withstand water pressure well when in deep water for long periods of time.....So take that into consideration.....2 cents

ps......I buy Cabela's brands......Their return policy is the best, if needed.

I own both neo and breathable with boot, if I'm at the sea I wear the neo with wander boot laced tight so the mud doesn't kill me. My armor waterfowl waders with the built in boot I tend to wear at a location with a harder bottom since you will walk out of them in mud no matter if you have gators or not. Cabellas and turners have good deals now and then look to spend around 250 for a descent set.

ilovesprig said:

Cabelas is great for returns Steve, but I do know they have made adjustments to the wader return policy in the past year or so.

They were getting too many people sending back 10 year old waders looking for new ones.

Remember "lifetime" warranty means the life of a product, not your life. Lol

nicapopolis said:
ilovesprig said:

Cabelas is great for returns Steve, but I do know they have made adjustments to the wader return policy in the past year or so.

They were getting too many people sending back 10 year old waders looking for new ones.

Remember "lifetime" warranty means the life of a product, not your life. Lol

Yeah Nick.......I've heard the same thing.......I also buy from them because I have their Visa card......Get the points up, then buy cool stuff..... ;)

Cabelas has some herters breathables on sale for $99 I believe. I 2nd all the praise of breathables. Neoprene are great if it's really cold and you don't have to walk very far or do anything strenuous or your standing in deep water.

I ordered the breathable pair that I posted. Thanks for the insight I really didn't think the neoprene would be the right choice. Only reason I got them on Amazon is I can use my Amex points.

The Neo's may come in handy , I'm hunting a area that AM temps range from 11 to 18 every morning highs at 38 degrees . add some wind . Must be care full not to over heat by walking too far . I'm scared to put the breathable ones on . Have you guys tried them at that temp ?

dhntr48 said:
The Neo's may come in handy , I'm hunting a area that AM temps range from 11 to 18 every morning highs at 38 degrees . add some wind . Must be care full not to over heat by walking too far . I'm scared to put the breathable ones on . Have you guys tried them at that temp ?

Yes......You just need to layer (Cold Gear UA) underneath......Standing in water is another issue......Neo's IMO are at their best in this situation.

I used to hunt geese a lot up on the north end of salt lake. Kinda by bear river refuge. Talk about cold! It's all about layers, real polar fleece or thunsulate pants over quality thermal underware. If you need extra heat in your toes use the heat packs made for feet. You will be fine down to zero and below with good stuff

Another trick is to buy your boots two sizes big and put sorel liners in. They are low cost and work amazing well when you are below zero

Aeon said:
I used to hunt geese a lot up on the north end of salt lake. Kinda by bear river refuge. Talk about cold! It's all about layers, real polar fleece or thunsulate pants over quality thermal underware. If you need extra heat in your toes use the heat packs made for feet. You will be fine down to zero and below with good stuff

There you go! That is exactly how I roll. Here in CO we get into the negatives when you factor in windchill. I still don't wear neoprenes.

I do agree with some about deeper water and Neoprenes, but at the same time the breathable technology is so damn good these days that I wouldn't worry about the difference in water PSI from 2 to 4 ft.

I was in breathables the other day in my float tube and I broke ice to get out there.

The technology with the layering will no doubt keep you warm.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu