Waterfowl Load Patterning: 12GA 3" 1-3/8oz 1300FPS

Designed2Hunt

Aug 18, 2019
Does anyone have any experience with or patterning data from a 12GA, 3", 1-3/8oz, 1,300 FPS load?
1-3/8oz is typically a 3-1/2" load. How will it preform in a 3" shell?
1300 FPS seems pretty slow.
My understanding is that when steel first came around for waterfowl in the1990s, it was around 1200 fps and it was terrible. What's the effective range?

Mike,

I personally don't think the 1 3/8 oz is necessary and speed in steel is way more important....Better speed of the 1 1/4 oz at 1450 fps, and the even better 1 1/8 oz at 1560 fps.

.016.JPG

Reactions: Designed2Hunt
speed kills :)

keep to the 1-1/'4 payload going fast, the bigger payload going 1500 recoils to much anyways

i am not a happy boy at the moment, been a hevi metal guy for a long long time and the price is just getting dumb :( need to find a new round or shoot less ducks

speed kills :)

keep to the 1-1/'4 payload going fast, the bigger payload going 1500 recoils to much anyways

i am not a happy boy at the moment, been a hevi metal guy for a long long time and the price is just getting dumb :( need to find a new round or shoot less ducks

Billy, Billy, Billy,

Kent 3" 1/8 #3's are the way to go ($209.99 a case)....Actually the blue box Federals ($189.99) or Winchester X-Perts ($99.99) in the same load, will kill any duck...And, since recoil bothers you (A400), this load will feel like a .410..........:joy:

Reactions: duck-boy

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu