Waterfowl withdrawals

Adstaxidermyshoppe

Oct 4, 2015
Moved back to so cal from Utah and now I'm going through waterfowl withdrawals! I now feel spoiled to witness what other areas have to offer. You nor cal guys are spoiled too. Down here there is no where to go. I'm thinking about hitting a refuge or two this year and maybe trying the canals around calipatria. All my old areas are either dried up, housing tracts or taken over by irresponsible idiots. I'm willing to trade taxidermy work for access or whatever it takes to knock a few birds off my bucket list. Same goes for wild pigs too. Feel free to pm me if you would like. Thanks

Put in for the Wister Drawing, pull a good # and you will have lots of friends to go with. Hit me up mid season, will trade guided back bay hunts for a mount. Gotta baby girl due any day now so I might not make the opener...doh!

Aaron,

Congrats on that baby girl..........And Ads, you'll have tons of friends with a ressie on the opener........ ;D

ps....Better do it today online......Last day to apply is Friday.

ilovesprig said:
Aaron,

Congrats on that baby girl..........And Ads, you'll have tons of friends with a ressie on the opener........ ;D

Steve,

Did they change the application due date by a couple days? Wasn't it 17 days or something like that last year or a couple years ago?

PinTeal34 said:
ilovesprig said:
Aaron,

Steve,

Did they change the application due date by a couple days? Wasn't it 17 days or something like that last year or a couple years ago?

Aaron,

Saturday is 14 days before the opener.....That's supposedly the draw date.....In the old days when we sent in apps, it was 17 days. I think now because it's electronic, you have till Friday......Could be wrong tho.

Do it today...NOW!

The 17 day rule still applies. Then there are a couple days before they are displayed so the numbers can be run and then DFW can validate them as correct - kick out multiples etc. So, they do the actual draw, do the checks and balances, and scheduled to post up Sat AM...

But the applications must be 17 days before the hunt date

Rick,

Thanks for the clarification............My draws have been since the 1st day........... ;D

Call me dumb, but I've been researching the San jaciento refuge and have no idea how to apply. I've googled it and thought it was a reservation in person kind of deal. What's the website?
My bucket list includes cinnamon teal, blue wing teal, shoveler, ruddy, snow/blue/ross goose, speck, and another feathered friend I don't have. Not too sure what hangs out around here.
I have: buffleheads, canvasbacks, pintail, widgeon, green wing, ringneck, greater scaup, mallard, gadwall, Canada goose, and goldeneye, a common I believe. My problem is that I usually hunt later in the season to get prime birds to mount, but I still like to get out and have fun.
Slayersmith, which bay? Congrats on the baby. My wife is a photographer and specializes in newborns. Check out her work on Facebook @ adsphotographyshoppe.
Thanks again guys. I'll get some pics of my work on here when I can fire up the pc. This I-pad wont upload pics.

Well you can check off the shoveler at the W for sure. Cinnamon teal is a guarantee early but you need to get them near the end of the season/reverse migration generally for a bird you would want to mount. Ruddys are plentiful on deep ponds but I've never seen a drake with a blue bill during the season. Snows are common, Ross' are as well if you hunt the federal areas.

I figured out how to apply for a reservation. Guess not so dumb after all. So 20$ an area per day that you apply for. Then what?if you draw, The dfg contacts you with a schedule of days throughout the season you can hunt? If you dont draw, you wait in line for a chance at the gate.

Thanks for the info mud pigeon. Ruddys only have blue bills in summer. But a drake can be dyed and a bill painted any color on a mount. Never tried it but Ive seen it done. Would be an interesting project.

If you get a lotto draw you will be notified or check back on the web site. You get a week and a half notice for draw results so keep your days open. If not sweat line it I've heard Wednesdays are the easiest to get on in the sweat line. It's my firt year hunting ducks so cal style as well.

The online results, in the past, have usually came out 2 weeks before the hunt date. So since the opener is the 24th, the results should be out Saturday the 10th. If drawn, you won't get notified by email but you can check back on the same website that you applied on. You will receive a letter about 1 week before the hunt date and that will be your physical reservation. You take that on the day of your hunt and present it at the check station to get your blind.

I hope that can help a little bit.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu