Waterfowling/Calling Class 2015

I even got DU to throw in some calls, if you guys don't have one........I'll also have Wister & San J maps for you guys........Looking forward to meeting you boys......... ;D

The waterfowling/calling lesson has kind of morphed into a bull session/venison feed as well.......Anytime after 1:00 pm is good....... ;D

Call for directions........760-803-4868.......Steve

Strong work Steve. You are one heck of a god guy and SCH is lucky to have you!

Today was awsome jerky, sausage, beer, venison, dove...elk..talking about waterfowl, getting questions answered. I can't think of a better way to spend a sunday. Thank you Steve! People like yourself keep the spirit of hunting alive. Bringing light to a somewhat confusing and law filled sport. I know beginner duck hunters really appreciate you doing this for us. I definitely feel confident going to one of the waterfowl areas at 3am. I really wanted to say thank you very much.

Roger that. Very much appreciated Steve. Good to meet all of you today. I've got a bit of duck calling to work on, but I soaked in a ton of knowledge from all of u esp on hunting Wister. Looking forward to trying the smoked sausage Irvine!

Thanks guys..........Wish we had more time because there's so much to go over.......I think you guys the idea though........ ;)

Great meeting and seeing some of you again...........Really fun day & great food!

So cool to hear you guys had a good time! way to go Steve you do so much for promoting hunting with both kids and newbies.

Thanks for putting that together Steve. Love spending time with good people who have the same interests. Met some good people and exchanged some numbers. My six year old daughter was duck calling the entire trip home. 8)

ilovesprig said:
Thanks guys..........Wish we had more time because there's so much to go over.......I think you guys the idea though........ ;)

Great meeting and seeing some of you again...........Really fun day & great food!

I had a lot of takeaways, especially in terms of etiquette, conditions and how the Wister and SJ rez/draw goes. As for calling.. well I think I'll leave that up to my buddy for now. But like Steve said, waterfowling is tough to jump into for the newbie/DIY-er like myself, since having a mentor is crucial if not required. Thanks again for sharing a bit.

I want to give a shout to Jeff Booten for showing up (Big Rock Wholesalers)......He's one of the best at Wister and hunts with a lot of newbies every year.

Just a little summary of hunting Wister from yesterday.......

1)......If your hunting by yourself......2-3 dozen decoys are more than enough.....Mixed species.....Separate species.

2)......Call sparingly.....Learn your whistles, lonesome hen (basic quack). and comeback call (rapid quacks).

3)......Invest in breathable waders.

4)......Get a decoy/big game cart.

5)......Get a comfortable bucket or directors chair......Mud seat is good to have as well.

6)......Build good blinds out of natural materials.

Bunches of other stuff, but these are some of the essentials......Well and bug spray...... ;D

I've lurked here for awhile but I'll make my first post on here to say I enjoyed meeting Irvine and all the other guys who's screen names I don't know.Sitting in a garage listening to people talk hunting beats the hell out of whatever else I would have doing that afternoon. The fact that you guys care enough to show up and ask questions especially about laws, bird ID and ethics means even if I never hunt with any of you you're likely going to be good neighbors on the refuges.

I know there are some straight up D zone killers on here. Anybody that kills bucks on public land will already have the same tools (scouting,observation,work ethic) to be a successful duck hunter.

Steve-Thanks for getting more people into the sport. They are greatly needed even if it doesn't feel that way at 3am.

Jeff,

Welcome to SCH...........Your fishing & waterfowling knowledge will be deeply appreciated.......... 8)

in case you guys forgot this is what you are after the infamous WISTER PERFECT GAME!
This post brought to you by hevi-metal!

Attachments

• wisterpurfectgame.jpg
    wisterpurfectgame.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 18
Bill,

That IS the perfect newbie limit at "The Wis".....Easy to ID, easy to decoy, easy to hit, & great eating..... ;D

Love it!

Attachments

• wister 1-12-13 009.JPG
    wister 1-12-13 009.JPG
    543.6 KB · Views: 21
Sorry I missed it Steve, but something else came up. Luckily, I have been hunting the Wis since the 1960's so I usually do OK there. I just miss the camaraderie of fellow hunters. Thank you for much for putting on the "clinic". To add to your list, watch out for those buzz worms! They show up in the most unlikely places and at the most unlikely times!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu