Weekend duckin

Nice job dude.... I should have grabbed a couple marines and headed over to you on sat.

Awesome. With a can in there. Gosh those Goldeneyes are the definition of stink. Lol

Your guys' divers must be different from mine. With the exception of coots, none of my Ruddy's have been stinky and they taste absolutely delicious like a $50 steak.

sluester said:
The wigeon stunk worse than all of them.
I normally wait at least a full day before cleaning them, depending on the weather.
You clean your birds sooner than me. I am 7-10 days belly up in the fridge. Let's them age.

I shot a Golden eye last year that I had to clean as soon as I got home though.

8SteelTown said:
Your guys' divers must be different from mine. With the exception of coots, none of my Ruddy's have been stinky and they taste absolutely delicious like a $50 steak.
Using the term "stink" is just slang for divers as a whole. You are right, sometimes they don't smell at all.

Here are some divers I tend to pass on and generally my reasoning. Some days no pass.

Ruddies - they are better as live decoys.

Buffies - same as above, but also a bird that will re-decoy 5 times is just sad, they get a pass.

Ring necks - usually get a pass from me. Very tough skin to deal with. I like to breast out my birds and I just haven't had the best luck in the past seperating the skin from the breast easily to justify killing the bird. Also, great live decoys. Lol

Scaup - tend to get a pass as well. Similar reasons to ringers although I have had a little more success with breasting.

Redheads - kill em all!! Haven't had the problems with breasting and they are a bitchin bird.

Canvas back - never shot them. Just not right place at right time I guess. But I plan to as I have heard they are delicious.

Golden eyes - gosh they stink... can't get over that.

Mergansers - unless for the wall.... nope... same thing, fish eater.

These are decisions I have made and my reasoning. They may not be the same as other and of course other people's experiences are different. I turn a lot of my ducks into jerky anyways, but I really don't like wasting meat or having a hard time peeling breast skin off the meat.

I generally setup for certain ducks I know are in an area. Sometimes spoons and teal get a pass, sometimes they don't. It just depends. Sometimes on a low draw we opt to wait for big ducks, it all just depends.

Do it your way, keep it legal, and take what you hear on forums as a grain of salt... if it is legal and you want to kill it ... GIVE THEM HELL!!!

As sluester said, sometjmes dabblers can stink to.

nicapopolis said:
8SteelTown said:
Using the term "stink" is just slang for divers as a whole. You are right, sometimes they don't smell at all.

Here are some divers I tend to pass on and generally my reasoning. Some days no pass.

Buffies - same as above, but also a bird that will re-decoy 5 times is just sad, they get a pass.

Ring necks - usually get a pass from me. Very tough skin to deal with. I like to breast out my birds and I just haven't had the best luck in the past seperating the skin from the breast easily to justify killing the bird. Also, great live decoys. Lol

Scaup - tend to get a pass as well. Similar reasons to ringers although I have had a little more success with breasting.

Redheads - kill em all!! Haven't had the problems with breasting and they are a bitchin bird.

Canvas back - never shot them. Just not right place at right time I guess. But I plan to as I have heard they are delicious.

These are decisions I have made and my reasoning. They may not be the same as other and of course other people's experiences are different. I turn a lot of my ducks into jerky anyways, but I really don't like wasting meat or having a hard time peeling breast skin off the meat.

I generally setup for certain ducks I know are in an area. Sometimes spoons and teal get a pass, sometimes they don't. It just depends. Sometimes on a low draw we opt to wait for big ducks, it all just depends.

Do it your way, keep it legal, and take what you hear on forums as a grain of salt... if it is legal and you want to kill it ... GIVE THEM HELL!!!

Right on bro good wright up

nicapopolis said:
8SteelTown said:

That's a great breakdown, especially for the hunter that keeps their birds. I doubt a duck gifter would subscribe to that, more about a limit pic to show their prowess.
Nothing like a big puddler cupped and committed!

sluester said:
If you gut shoot burdes and leave them for a week....yuk. ;D

Breast them then put em in the fridge for a week.

You would be suprised. I have had birds that were pretty tore up. I thought my wife would kill me having in the fridge.... nope! No smell, even for up to two weeks. You do get a little smell once you start moving them around to clean, but not bad at all.

It might have to do with the fact that they are sitting still and any of the blood or wounds dry out and doesn't release the smell possibly, but not sure.

I used to be against aging in the fridge before I tried it. Now I love it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu