Welcome Newbies!

Hello all,

My name is Tim. Originally from Southern California and around guns my whole life, I got interested in hunting while spending a few years in Ohio. Now that I'm home, I want to learn more about hunting, specifically in So Cal.

Thanks.

Hello
I just registered here and looking forward to learning about this site. Im new to bow fishing and have had some bow hunting experience as well as some target competition (three).

A gentle men new to the forum and have 2 seasons under my belt so I'm also new to hunting look forward to learning more from you experienced guys out there. Have a couple questions would like some help on . NO hunting spot info I've already seen how that goes and rightfully so I actually enjoy the scouting and the accomplishment from putting in the time and seeing the rewards you get. I've just took up turkey hunting and would like some in put on set up I think I'm in the rite area ( seen turkeys ) but just can't get them to come in or gobble back to me any info would be great thanks

Tech

Tech,

Welcome to SCH.....I suggest you ask this same question in the upland forum.....You'll probably get more answers.

ps......There is no one set that works for all situations or locations. Without being there, it would be tough to give you an answer now......Here are some general ideas and scenarios.

Our season is super late (strong breeding & gobbling in Feb.). So that means most hens have been bred and are on nests. What's left, if any, are jennys (1st year hens that sometimes don't breed).....Very difficult to call in or get gobblers to even gobble now. Try and get a pattern on the birds that you are seeing and soft call. Cranking out loud yelps & cuts is just not happening (if it's windy, crank away). Very good chance any gobbler in the area will come in silent. So beware of all movement by you and around you (good vantage point)....They have been fighting for months. If a gobbler is in your zone. He doesn't want anyone else to know it.

Good luck.

Tech, you might consider attending the next NWTF meeting on April 26. Search "NWTF" and you'll find threads with all the info you'll need. Joining local chapters and getting involved by volunteering is a great way for newbies to spend quality time learning from very experienced and generous hunters.

Hello all,
I'm James. I've been an avid fisherman my whole life but no longer have access to a boat I can take out past Catalina for tuna and other pelagics.Because of this I want to start feral hog hunting.

I like the idea of pig hunting for a few reasons first, they are not native second, BACON! and third, there is an element of danger. What I have gathered, from talking to the guys at the gun shops, Google, and my travels from SoCal to visit the family in NorCal, is that fort hunter liggett is the place to go. As far as hardware I'm really liking a Marlin 1895 45-70. I am also heavily considering going to bighorn caynon ranch for my first ever hunt as there is no license, tag or leadless bullet requirements. Also I understand that is is basically a sure thing if you are willing to shoot what is basically a domesticed pig should all else fail (def. not my first choice).

I do not have a hunting partner locally but have some folks up north I can pester with questions every now and again. I hope I can find a hunting partner here in Orange County and hunt pig and maybe sheep in the future. Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

James,

Welcome to SCH.....Going north is definitely your best bet for pigs.....GSGS (outfitter) is a sponsor on here and their kill ratio seems to be quite good.

Ilovespring - I have looked at giant sequoia and I would agree that it's seems very likely to be successful with Neil and his outfit. I hope to one day hunt un-guided, obviously, but am certain that my first few to many hunts will be best served if done with a pro.

Welcome to the forum James . as other have said go guided to get your feet wet . tell your guide its your first time,and i'am sure he or she will give you good advice . 45-70 is an overkill to me. :-[

Welcome James. Sounds like your looking to do things right. Keep it up. Ask good intelligent questions and read a whole lot. Shoot what you got. I hunt with a 45-70 sharps from time to time. Heavy as hell but I can smack the heck out of a hog at 500 yards with open sights. It's a very good round. Especially with Hornaday lead free. 99% weight retention. Yea baby!

Welcome to SCH James. If your going to spend money on a pig hunt. I would highly recommend Neil. Neil charges about the same as Big Horn Caynon ranch. With Neil your actually going out and working for your pig. It isn't easy but if you are successful it feels a lot more rewarding. Plus it's fun as hell.
If you just want to see if your capable of shooting an animal and want it all to happen within an hour. Then by all means Big Horn is the place. I've been there before, and I'm not trying to knock it. But it's not the same experience. Plus the pigs I've gotten with Neil taste so much better. Good luck

Nickolas. Quality meat is the one of the main reasons I would be hunting. Bighorn appeals to me because while I have killed thousands of fish in my life, I feel like an intelligent mammal is a totally different situation. I have thought about it a fair bit and the plan for bighorn would tentitavly be to hunt a sheep, Russian boar or razor back in the Am as I understand they are not super easy to find and track. Then if unsuccessful (and I can't believe I'm saying this) shoot a small "meat pig" simply to see what killing feels like and to learn how to field dress and butcher an animal. The aspect of sport is very important to me as well as a good death for animal. Taking out a petting zoo equivalent animal does not fill either aspect but I also need to be practical. Honestly I would much rather join a seasoned hunter(s) as a non shooting partner / pack animal and learn that way. Sadly I don't know anyone who hunts in SoCal which is my bighorn seems like a good classroom at this point.

The chances are they won't have any Russian boar there/ Razor back. But will have a ton furry feral pigs. It is a great place to go to see how you coup with pulling the trigger on an animal. That's where I took my dad the first time, and it got him hooked. Any of the sheep or goats would give you more of a challenge. They don't like human's one bit and are constantly moving away from you.

jdac said:
Honestly I would much rather join a seasoned hunter(s) as a non shooting partner / pack animal and learn that way. Sadly I don't know anyone who hunts in SoCal which is my bighorn seems like a good classroom at this point.
Welcome James. Bighorn is more of a grocery store than a classroom, IMO. Judging from the objectives you've laid out, and your willingness to pay for a worthwhile experience, working with a qualified guide is the type of learning environment you are looking for. You can learn key skills quickly and move up the learning curve rapidly. Just make sure you are fit so you can keep up, and pay close attention to everything your guide does in the field. Do you have a good local gun or hunting shop? They are another terrific source of information and guidance as you start out, and you really want to support the local guys if you can.

Bonejour said:
jdac said:
Honestly I would much rather join a seasoned hunter(s) as a non shooting partner / pack animal and learn that way. Sadly I don't know anyone who hunts in SoCal which is my bighorn seems like a good classroom at this point.
Welcome James. Bighorn is more of a grocery store than a classroom, IMO. Judging from the objectives you've laid out, and your willingness to pay for a worthwhile experience, working with a qualified guide is the type of learning environment you are looking for. You can learn key skills quickly and move up the learning curve rapidly. Just make sure you are fit so you can keep up, and pay close attention to everything your guide does in the field. Do you have a good local gun or hunting shop? They are another terrific source of information and guidance as you start out, and you really want to support the local guys if you can.
Spot on!

Newbie here, checking in from San Diego. I'm a life long hunter orignally from Northern Nevada, transplanted to SD in 2000. I was on Jesse's Hunting forum for many years ("71fan") but it sort of fizzled away it seems. I've been lurking here off and on for a few months. It's nice to have a local forum to be involved with.

I've shot a few deer in CA (D16 x2 and G6 Kern), but most of my success has been in Utah and Nevada, with a few animals taken in Wyoming and Colorado. I used to hunt birds back in Nevada but have only hunted big game since moving to CA. I have three boys and my oldest (13) will be hunting D16 for his first big game tag this year.

We all have a reason for joining up on a forum, so full disclosure time....
I just checked my draw results and discovered I'll need a lot of advice, time, information, and support from the local hunting community. I hit the trifecta this year, with X9B deer, White Mtns Sheep, and Big Valley Pronghorn. Needless to say I'm in shock and quite happy.

So anyway, looking forward to bouncing around on this forum and meeting the crew. Happy hunting!!

Chad

Reactions: sleipnir

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu