Well, someone had to shoot some turkeys (double)

Randomshot

Feb 12, 2012
Lakeside, CA
Invisible man and I made a run at trying to bag a gobbler this morning. The goal was for IM to bag an opening day bird which I would film and I would shoot cleanup if a second opportunity presented itself.
We headed out and setup and at first light heard three different groups of gobblers. Unfortunately all the gobblers seamed to be hened up and we couldn't seem to get any of the vocal birds to show any interest in us. Around mid morning we were chalking the day up as a hunting trip and not a killing trip so IM set off to setup a game cam to check the activity in his area. After setting the cam up I was playing with a new diaphragm and got a gobble from a bird across the valley and over the hill. IM broke out his calls and the birds replied again showing a lot of interest. The calling went back and forth for a couple of minutes and sounded as thought he birds were coming in. IM knowing the area suggested we go back across the valley where we started in the AM to lessen the distance the birds would have to come to us. We hoofed it across the valley and were at the toe of the slope where we were setup in the morning when we heard another gobble, a very close gobble. The birds were moving into us on the back of the hill. Our brisk paced walk turned into a run. We ran the remainder of the way to the tree where we started in the morning. IM hit his box call and we had an instant response inside of 100yards but still out of sight. We both adjusted our shotguns and set up for the birds. Two gobblers popped up. One bird was leading and the other was at full strut. They were both hot and not content to stay place. IM called lead bird as they moved in. Both birds headed West still looking for the hen. We adjusted again as soon they went behind a tree. Once the second bird cleared the tree I whispered to IM "call it". A little suprising to me IM's shotgun barked calling/ dropping the lead bird. The second bird turned and ran a few steps before my shotgun decided to bark as well. Well, that's all I have to say about that, two Toms dropped within a couple of seconds couldn't have worked out better. Unfortunaly do to our haste in setup none of it got videoed. Big thanks to Doug for dragging me along.
268cb7169edc8e5eccb0c96ed243ede1.jpg
1acdde6902e2aa4454197cb39a7d1073.jpg
0368e909e692bc515f730c9944fc2562.jpg
b8e2d39a26f78a782507ad5ae9ad2719.jpg

Wow that's awesome! One of those almost looks like a merriams gobbler too. Congrats!

Nice looking birds guys. It is funny how a hunt is never over until its over. Great job!

Well done! All the successful hunts this weekend seem like they required a lot of skill and hard work. Congrats to all.

Sent via Tapatalk

It was great fun. Random put an incredible shot on the his bird. We had a very small window to drop a deuce so when I knew he was ready I fired knowing he would follow. No time for the " The Ol 123 fire". 2 more seconds and it would of been a single. After my shot his bird turned and ran straight away from us, Random leaned into his shotgun and fired rolling his bird at 65yds. ( running bird at 65). When we picked up the birds his was easily 15yds further then mine, one more second may have broke the deal. Good shot John!

Invisible man said:
It was great fun. Random put an incredible shot on the his bird. We had a very small window to drop a deuce so when I knew he was ready I fired knowing he would follow. No time for the " The Ol 123 fire". 2 more seconds and it would of been a single. After my shot his bird turned and ran straight away from us, Random leaned into his shotgun and fired rolling his bird at 65yds. ( running bird at 65). When we picked up the birds his was easily 15yds further then mine, one more second may have broke the deal. Good shot John!
Thank you, thank you
It worked out as smoothly as something that wasn't planned ever could. Hell I'm still smiling about it today.

web1 said:
Great job guys nice pair of birds, Im sure Randomshot was glad I decided to go to work today!
Dean you just let me know whenever you need me to fill in for you. It makes for better pics with me in them.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu