Western Outdoor News Lake Havasu Striper Derby

KID CREOLE

Aug 29, 2014
Just for those of you not on the other site we posted on

I have fished this derby for 20 years or so, Gregg and I have fished it four of the last 5 years together and we won the tourney last year by a landslide.

We worked our butts off to learn the patterns of these spring stripers and when the Derby director told us of all the emails he received by Havasu locals claiming we had to be cheating, well that was all the motivation we needed to go and try for the back to back

We got there on weds and woke up to cold, windy and rain while prefishing thrusday and friday but the fish bit full speed. We found stripers on structure as well as out in the center of the lake on the move. The fish were very easy to find and catch

Saturday the first day of the derby was good to us, our first day 10 fish limit went 60.82lbs, we had a 15 or so pound lead on the first day

Second day our fish didn't show, we stayed on the spot for 4 hrs for two barely legal fish. Conditions had changed, S/E wind had backed off. We rolled the dice and headed out to another area that had fish a few days before. Unfortunately there were a ton of boats in the are but they left me plenty of room to get where I needed to be. We stopped on a lil bunch of fish and got them to stick with us, we landed limits and blew out of there and back to the weigh in. Day two of the derby our 10 fish went 35.42 lbs for a two day total, 96.24lbs. The last 4 fish we caught were 4.5 lb fish which ended up giving us just enough weight to pull it off winning it two years in a row

Along with great striper fishing the channel cats were like flys, some fish over 15 lbs, we caught close to 50 of them over 4 days

Pics

Attachments

• 2015hav5.jpg
    2015hav5.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 2015hav6.jpg
    2015hav6.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 2015hav4.jpg
    2015hav4.jpg
    598.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 2015hav1.jpg
    2015hav1.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 2015havtrophy.jpg
    2015havtrophy.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 730
Nice seems if you do any thing above the other competition your a cheater, How can you cheat fishing Stripers? great bunch of fish and good in the fry pan

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu