What’s in your pack?

The Deer Guy

Apr 4, 2016
Alright guys so with our local deer season quickly approaching and a trip I have planned to hunt AZ I spent some time getting my pack together today. I thought this would be a good time to break down what I run in my deer pack and see what others are using. Keep in mind that what’s in my pack ranges depending on how far I’m going from the truck, water sources and whether or not I’lol be staying overnight. Right now I’m at 24lbs without water and that’s in preparation for a hunt 3-5 miles from the truck.
4B59C2D1-766C-43B6-A64A-A273DAF65FF7.jpeg082D9F74-A79B-438C-9569-585C6CD850AF.jpegD1E53843-2E30-4FDA-B1E9-44961AA6592D.jpeg9D5930E8-408A-44DC-B70B-2CCCF8C0C571.jpeg16DBAFE3-3CFF-47A0-A073-2158896BB8EC.jpeg6917B464-77D2-4225-B100-244AD656FFD2.jpeg6BBB9507-0DCE-4E67-B8FB-888B496ACFD6.jpeg

Just to break down further what I use...

Hunting gear in my pack: (not including water and sleeping gear)

Release

Vortex Spotting scope

Slik Tripod/Manfrotto Head

Vortex bino adapter

Vortex Viper 10x50 Binos

leupold Rx full draw rangefinder

Mystery ranch bino harness

Jetboil and spork

Food and snacks for the day

Hydration bladder

Water bottle and filtration kit

Glassing seat cushion

Headlamp (or 2)

Kill kit (knife, gloves, game bags, pen, zip ties, electric tape, flagging, paracord) (in large kuiu dry bag)

First aid kit

Lighter and fire starter tabs

Portable phone charger and cables, gps, batteries (in small kuiu dry bag)

Trekking poles

Wind checker

Face paint

Gaiters

Rain gear

Compressed towels/TP

Camera

GoPro and go pro stick

Yep. I’ve used it in the past for cutting through the sternum to make field dressing a little easier and to cut off the head. Probably won’t use it much this year as I’ll be mainly using the gutless method. That being said it’s ultra light and seems to come in handy for a lot of stuff.

Josh

Very cool. Curious, how much water do you hike with for your longer hunts, and do you store water out there?

P.s. love the Mountain House chicken and rice (I bring a tiny bottle of hot sauce with me)...but I could never get into the biscuits and gravy one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I ditched the second headlamp and went with a goal zero flashlight/Lantern. Set the lantern up in a high spotA9F0A85C-4050-40AD-A1BC-71B62DB4AC99.jpeg00191783-5509-4FA8-9A79-F92A668A53DE.jpeg and you won’t need the head lamp in camp. Still have a backup flashlight if needed. Easily last 3 nights as a lantern. 243132FB-5264-4149-BD1D-DA8EEA9A3D48.jpeg

i started carting a few pieces of flat bread and these flavored tunas in my pack. They are great and loaded with protein. The flat bread holds its shape pretty well. I also just eat the tuna with no bread but the bread adds to the meal for sure. Super cheap, light, lots of flavors, and very fast no boiling or water required.
StarKist Tuna Creations Bold, Hot Buffalo Style, 2.6 Ounce (Pack of 12)

I also started using meal to go bars and probars and of course there is always jerky. I love mountain house but in SD with the water situation I tend to try and use waterless food as much as possible. I do enjoy a chicken and rice or stroganoff at night though. Sometimes if it is just a one or two night trip or car camping I will carry a can of chicken to throw in the mountain house it tastes great and really hits the spot after a lot of miles.
These meal to go bars are awesome! They might seem expensive but compared to Mountain house they are reasonable.

Greenbelly Backpacking Meals - Backpacking Food, Appalachian Trail Food Bars, Ultralight, Non-Cook, High-Calorie, Gluten-Free, Ready-to-Eat, All Natural Meal Bars (9 Variety)

Probar Meal Bar Variety Pack of 12

I am spoiled I like my hot coffee in the mornings. Carry little Xtra water.
Straw filter, hot food is nice but not necessary. Mountain house is my fav.
Fire starter is a must. I carry 50 gal trash bag. Many uses. Cordage, 2 knives. I try to pack lite as possible.
Lite first aid kit, to hand sanitizer.

In my younger days, knife, cordage canteen, fire starter, light snacks.
Plenty of ammo. I ate what ever I could find. Like cactus apple, prickly pear cactus, Manzanita berries., Use pine needles for tea, pinion nuts, acorns, snake on occasion. Carried hand gun for small game.
If i killed a deer fresh heart and liver.
Best
Longbow

Reactions: Smokey58
Great stuff guys.

Lungpopper... I dig the goal zero light and new cook kit. The jet boils so easy but i could definitely shed ounces there.

Longbow... just read through that other thread. Definitely looking forward to packing out this year. Drug one out 2 years ago for 3 miles in rough country and I was wishing it was on my back every time it was getting caught up in manzanita other thick brush.

Trig,
That picture is classic. And to think that back then hunting G3,X9A,and every other zone was just one OTC tag. You still might find kippered snacks in my pack. Those things are tastey.

Yep. I’ve used it in the past for cutting through the sternum to make field dressing a little easier and to cut off the head. Probably won’t use it much this year as I’ll be mainly using the gutless method. That being said it’s ultra light and seems to come in handy for a lot of stuff.

Josh
Gutless is all I've ever done. Saw quickly gets rid of the bottom of the legs so the quarters fit in your game bags and pack better. Saves a little weight packing out. Also, the bucks I shoot unfortunately aren't shoulder mount trophies so the saw is used to skull cap them.

Reactions: The Deer Guy
Gutless is all I've ever done. Saw quickly gets rid of the bottom of the legs so the quarters fit in your game bags and pack better. Saves a little weight packing out. Also, the bucks I shoot unfortunately aren't shoulder mount trophies so the saw is used to skull cap them.

My Leatherman has a little saw blade that comes in handy for that. I also use it for sawing through the pelvis for a cleaner gutting process.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mud Pigeon,
Great information. Yeah I know how to cut around the joints with a knife pretty well to make easy work of it but that Gerber saw always seems to get used when I’m dressing out a deer. Whether it’s quartered or field dressed.

Josh

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu