What a weekend! Forky and Doe Down-G10

msailor

Jan 30, 2014
San Diego
I have been hunting G-10 for three years and have not been successful until Sunday. I am from the Midwest and had a lot to learn about hunting in SoCal. This year I put forth the effort and it paid off big time. I could not get out that much the first year because I was working on my Masters and refereeing for my kid’s soccer leagues. The following year I was once again just too damn busy to dedicate the time that was needed. This year I was able to dedicate one day each weekend to get out there. Of course I would not have been successful without the help of my fellow hunters. Especially one great guy that I meet via SCH. Saturday at 0825 I get a text from him that he had shot a forky and needed help getting it out. I got home and told the wife that I had to go. She told me “go get out of here and help him.” She is a great lady. I arrived at about 0930 with my daughter and we dragged him up a huge hill. He was at the processor by 1230 and I was back to running my errands. Sunday morning we went to the same valley that he shot the fork. After a long walk from the trucks my hunting buddy, that’s been with me the past three years, and my daughter sat and waited for the sun to come up. About 0800 we hear three shots a good distance away from another valley. At 0830 a good size doe comes into site at about 300 yards and she is coming our way at a good pace. I start to range her and at 80 yards my buddy takes the shot. MISFIRE!! So I get my gun up and take the shot now she is at 60 yards. She goes down and stays down. We were in a shot gun only area and I am going to invest in rifle barrel with a scope. Now the real work starts. You can see from the pictures that we had to drag her up a huge hill a mountain for me. It took us an hour and a half to get her out and in the truck. On our way out my daughter bumped another doe. We were home and the truck was cleaned up by 1300. What an awesome weekend. I can’t thank the folks on here enough for all the advice and guidance.

Attachments

• Sailor1.png
    Sailor1.png
    1 MB · Views: 232
  • Sailor2.png
    Sailor2.png
    677.6 KB · Views: 227
  • Sailor3.JPG
    Sailor3.JPG
    224.9 KB · Views: 229
Matt it was a great weekend, can't thank you enough for helping get the forky out that canyon. 10 year old was no help lol. We had a good season on pendleton with lots of deer sightings.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 23
I was glad to help and glad we had a good season I can't wait to hear what you do next year. Your son was great and a great spotter I bet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awesome stuff! I had spotted deer this year on Pendleton but couldn't make it happen this year, tag soup. maybe next year

Thanks everyone made some backstrap the other day and my city girl wife loved it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu