What areas of Henshaw are open to MCC duck hunting?

Hi guys, I hate to be the new guy who barges into conversation with questions.. I've resisted this with about 100 threads.. like, for example at one point I did literally want to ask if one really does need '100 dozen decoys' as is common advice around here.

What the heck is MCC?
It’s the secret society that runs the world. Bwahaha!

1637168199576.jpeg

Reactions: CAL'NDN and MAG 1
ohh now i want go hunt there... The airboat is amazing good at relocating decoys or just smashing them into the mud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am soooo there, @ilovesprig you going to take me?

Reactions: jth
I haven't been to Henshaw in a few years but one of the last times I hunted it I noticed that people were leaving their spread out in between hunts to claim spots. Without going into too many details, we knew we were the first ones on the lake for set up day and ran into two spreads that were left out. I tried to say something at the trucks on the morning of the hunt but the group got really confrontational and told us to take it up with Frank. Stopped hunting Henshaw after that. I do miss that place, but every time I drive past the volume of birds seems lacking.

When Frank (owner of MMC & lessee of Lake Henshaw) was alive, he had a guy that paid to have the North Bay to himself...He also put up a stilt blind near Monkey Island...They would leave decoys out and I was told to leave decoys on more than one occasion (for them)...That is no longer the case...That guy is gone and Frank has passed away...Nobody I know leaves decoys set up and longer...The exception to this would be MCC members who hunt Sunday...They/we can leave our decoys out on Saturday.

It was right around the time when the guy had the north bay leased for himself. I remembered seeing him set up on a handful of occasions that season. The incident I brought up wasn't his set up and it wasn't at the wooden blind by monkey island. I'm pretty sure it was just a group of guys that wanted to lock down "their" spot without having to come out on set up day.

Reactions: Rocked and Loaded
I can remember it happening as soon as the Mendenhalls leased it from VID. There was a kid that lived by the dam that used to do it all the time. I put his stuff in a pile one Friday morning, he showed up threw a fit and called Frank. He came out and let the kid stay in the spot but he did let us hunt for free that Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jth
I can remember it happening as soon as the Mendenhalls leased it from VID. There was a kid that lived by the dam that used to do it all the time. I put his stuff in a pile one Friday morning, he showed up threw a fit and called Frank. He came out and let the kid stay in the spot but he did let us hunt for free that Saturday.

Jack Ford reopened duck hunting in 1980...When Jack left, Al Sorin took it over, and it was pretty much potpourri (few hunters, with few rules)...VID was then going to drop the hunting program (like they had done before)...When the Mendenhall's took over the lease...The program was revamped...$25.00 a day, rental boats, and a 150 yd rule...Also, you can set-up the day before...They also kept the lake open to hunting last year...When they were pressured to close it, because of Covid.

Remember too, the lake was much larger than it is now, there were no willows trees squeezing everyone into what open areas there are, and there were many places to hunt waterfowl in SoCal.

The guys that are regulars kind to have a gentleman's agreement on what areas they like, but decoys can NOT be left out between shoot days...There's a 25 person limit per hunt day, with sign-ups on Monday & Friday...It now costs $50.00 per day and another $50.00, if you want a rental boat...On most days, there's a handful of hunters...The number of ducks taken overall, is quite low for the effort it takes to hunt here.

Last edited:
Jack Ford reopened duck hunting in 1980...When Jack left, Al took it over, and it was pretty much potpourri (few hunters, with few rules)...VID was then going to drop the hunting program (like they had done before)...When the Mendenhall's took over the lease...The program was revamped...$25.00 a day, rental boats, and a 150 yd rule...Also, you can set-up the day before...They also kept the lake open to hunting last year...When they were pressured to close it, because of Covid.

Remember too, the lake was much larger than it is now, there were no willows trees squeezing everyone into what open areas there are, and there were many places to hunt waterfowl in SoCal.

The guys that are regulars kind to have a gentleman's agreement on what areas they like, but decoys can NOT be left out between shoot days...There's a 25 person limit per hunt day, with sign-ups on Monday & Friday...It now costs $50.00 per day and another $50.00, if you want a rental boat...On most days, there's a handful of hunters...The number of ducks taken overall, is quite low for the effort it takes to hunt here.

I was born in 1986 so unfortunately I never got to hunt when the lake reopened and only heard the good stories of geese in Potato fields and wigeon and pintail thick like mosquitoes from my dad. I do remember that you could setup the day before (10 am) and cost was $25 when the Socins ran it.

I wasn’t knocking the Mendinhalls just noting I never had an issue seeing gear left out before setup days prior to them getting the lease. I hunted there exclusively every Saturday and a few Wednesday from ‘96 to ‘06.

I’m sure I wouldn’t even recognize the place now but I’ll always have fond memories of henshaw and grateful the Mendenhalls have kept the duck hunting tradition alive there.

Reactions: ilovesprig
I recently posted some pictures of hunting the potato fields in the early 80's...What a lot of folks don't know, is that they grew alfalfa back behind Monkey Island and Fink Rd...If you look closely driving down S-2...You can still see the old rows where the potatoes were grown...5-10,000 geese used that valley back then.

The pic is from 1986-87 season

.IMG_20160111_0001.jpgIMG_20160111_0002.jpg

I recently posted some pictures of hunting the potato fields in the early 80's...What a lot of folks don't know, is that they grew alfalfa back behind Monkey Island and Fink Rd...If you look closely driving down S-2...You can still see the old rows where the potatoes were grown...5-10,000 geese used that valley back then.

The pic is from 1986-87 season

.View attachment 52144View attachment 52145

I wish I could’ve seen that. Nice pictures. I shot my first pintail in that pond in your picture. We nicknamed it “stony” because of all rocks surrounding it. I remember during a couple El Niño years that spot would hold some serious water.

I wish I could’ve seen that. Nice pictures. I shot my first pintail in that pond in your picture. We nicknamed it “stony” because of all rocks surrounding it. I remember during a couple El Niño years that spot would hold some serious water.

Funny...Everyone has a name for it...Ours has always been "The Hourglass" pond....Well, because it's shaped like a hourglass... :blush:

ps...10 years ago.

.mcc 2-26-11 046.JPGmcc 2-26-11 047.JPG

Funny...Everyone has a name for it...Ours has always been "The Hourglass" pond....Well, because it's shaped like a hourglass... :blush:

ps...10 years ago.

.View attachment 52149View attachment 52150

Good memories…all the ponds are full. That little one on the far left is where I shot my first honker and cinnamon teal. I’m guessing the willows are a bit thicker now. I remember them starting to grow pretty bad right after ‘01 or 02’. Prior to that it was just the cockle burrs.

Good memories…all the ponds are full. That little one on the far left is where I shot my first honker and cinnamon teal. I’m guessing the willows are a bit thicker now. I remember them starting to grow pretty bad right after ‘01 or 02’. Prior to that it was just the cockle burrs.

Still a ton of couple burrs, but the willow trees are thick...So thick, you can't walk thru them.........:confused:

2 years ago
022.JPGago

Still a ton of couple burrs, but the willow trees are thick...So thick, you can't walk thru them.........:confused:

2 years ago
View attachment 52151ago

Gross…my first thought is a dozer and a few boats loaded with cinder blocks. Doze the trees and haul them to the dam, strap them with blocks and sink them to make some legit crappie condos.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Gross…my first thought is a dozer and a few boats loaded with cinder blocks. Doze the trees and haul them to the dam, strap them with blocks and sink them to make some legit crappie condos.

For everything that's bad, there's something else that is better, enhanced, or improved...The willows with high water have let the fishery get way better, especially bass...A number of years back they did just what you suggested with orange trees...When you find them...They can be loaded with crappie & bass.

.IMG_2133 (1).JPGIMG_1686.JPG

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
Thanks George...I couldn't find this years pix...It's been so dry, "The Hourglass" hasn't had any water for a couple of years...This picture shows that even if the lake comes up...The willows are so far back, it will take biblical rains to hunt behind them...You can see why it pretty much takes a boat across the lake.

It also probably explains why there's so many fewer ducks too...They like shorelines...Rain will help a LOT!

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
I heard you can hunt ducks at Henshaw if you are not a member? Costing you more to hunt though.
Is this true?

I heard you can hunt ducks at Henshaw if you are not a member? Costing you more to hunt though.
Is this true?

Yes, you can....$50.00 per day, per person, and $50.00 for a boat, if you want one...Shoot days are Thursday & Saturday for the public...Sundays are members of MCC only...Sign-ups are Monday & Thursday...Drawing will be at 1:00 pm. on those days for 20 hunters (not including MCC members)...If you stay in a cabin the night before shoot day, you automatically get 2 spots...Must be paid before drawing.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu