What camo do you use?

SoCalRebelHunter

Sworn to hunt, Loyal to none
Jan 22, 2012
East El Cajon
Well, it would appear that I'm in the market for some new camouflage this year. My old pair of bib overalls are about to quit and I'm trying to figure out what I want next.

What do you guys use/recommend? I'm a fan of the overalls because I can wear shorts or jeans underneath and take them off when done hunting. But I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

Reid

Yeh' I spent some time at the sewing machine this year and stitched me a Deer skin Polo shirt and a matching pair Deerskin Khakis, Finally finished my new favorite hat with matching antennas. LOOK OUT!!! LOL

Sitka ....the best wearing camo period....and the patter really works. Deer literally look right through you.I bought 2pairs of ascent pants and 2 long sleeve lightweight tees 4 years ago and the have survived flawlessly. The only pants that don't tear when hung on branches because they're stretchy. If I remember correctly so cal guided hunts was or is placing an order and I would get in on it off still possible. Non cotton and wicks and breathes you'll never be drenched in sweat.

Sitka!! Yes you can order from me. Message me what you want and what size and I will message you a price. I will beat anyone's price!

(My discount prices are only for active members with more then 30 posts! )

SoCalGuidedHunts said:
Sitka!! Yes you can order from me. Message me what you want and what size and I will message you a price. I will beat anyone's price!

Are you able to get First Lite or Kryptek?

Breacher said:
SoCalGuidedHunts said:

Are you able to get First Lite or Kryptek?

I dont have a dealer account for them but I could call them and find out but..... Sitka is a lot better gear!!

Snake Charmer said:
Camo is like fishing lures, it catches more humans than game, be quiet , use the wind and you'll get it done

I have to agree with you. Never had any of the high dollar camo but it hasn't stopped any animals from walking in front of my bow.

Trust me don't nock it till you try it . Its really nice while bivy hunting to be able to wash the and hang dry the and they're dry in less than an hour. First light diminishes too quick for me and kryptic and kuiu are just ad expensive but not nearly the r&d of sitka. The gore open country pattern was developed specifically for ungulate vision.

Just got some First Light gear in ASAT. Quality looks superior and marino wool will help keep things comfortable and stink free on long hunts. Also they are based out of my home town of Ketchum Idaho so I get to support a local business back home. Check them out!!

Don't drink the Coolaid!

Ever seen a guy walking through a canyon wearing Army ACU's? It's easier for me to spot than blaze orange, and I'm not exaggerating. Just about any camo patter will conceal you if you're sitting inside of a bush. People will walk right by, and never see you, if you don't move. I've had this happen many times when playing paintball.

But what about when you're sitting or standing out in the field? What does RealTree Extra Gray or Mossy Oak Timber or whatever pattern you're considering look like when you're sitting or standing out in the middle of a field? In most cases, a dark blob of human shape.

Camo doesn't hurt, but in many cases, I don't think it's helping as much as we would like to think. A few years back, I started reconsidering my opinions on camo. I've had deer eyeball me and walk up to within 10 feet of me while wearing old-fashioned woodland camo BDU's while I was standing absolutely still in the middle of a dirt road, curious, and trying to figure me out. I had a buck walk up to within 5 yards, alternating between feeding and eyeballing me. I had a big 4x4 muley in Wyoming walk across a field, directly toward me as I lay prone in ankle-high cut alfalfa (think yellow straw), wearing my duck hunting pattern bibs and a Natural Gear fleece pullover. He kept coming until he was within 50 yards, before trotting off. I wore those same bibs and pullover in a tree stand on the opposite side of the property, in a tree without a single leaf on it, and a whitetail buck came right to the base of the tree, and didn't run off until I turned around. I sat near some brush in Alpine waiting for some deer to come out of a creek bed, wearing that same pullover and a sagebrush pattern pants. A doe and a fawn walked out not 10 yards away, looked at me, and froze, trying to figure me out. They went about their business, browsing their way back into the creek bed.

My point is the same as SnakeCharmer's. Stay still. Work the wind. I do wear camo, but I wear the cheapest I can find. My patterns of choice are what I call "open" (not a lot of detail), and which will break up my outline/silhouette. Usually something that will blend in well with a variety of SoCal habitats, like mud, brown grass, dirt, mud, brown bushes, mud, green brush, dirt, etc. Natural Gear is probably my favorite. I wear a head net many times, to hide my blazing white face. And none of my camo matches, because I don't care.

Again, good camo (and by good, I don't mean "expensive") won't hurt, but it won't do you a bit of good if you're moving.

And now let's talk about scent elimination....ok, let's not. I'll give you 3 guesses what my opinion on that is.

Hunting is a investment!! Invest in the best you can. I feel Sitka is the best you can buy. Now if you dont buy it cause its not in your budget our dont like it thats ok and nothing wrong with it. But if you can buy Sitka for a little more or about the same price as good camo why would you not want to go with the best?

Personally, I'm born on budget so my camo is as cheap as cheap gets (probably $60 for head to toe). I was out hunting yote with my buddy and SoCalRebelHunter and they couldn't see me under a tree from 30 yards (my avatar pic). To each their own. Whatever gives you confidence. Ill keep entering the Sitka contests on Instagram :eek: and hope for some free stuff ;)!

I've worn blue jeans to camo from Walmart, I would agree with using the wind. I have been looking into Core4Element gear on www.camofire.com. Really good prices and from reading is just as good as Sitka or Kryptek.

Anyone have any experience with Hecks? Seen it on TV and has some heavy claims to disrupt electrical signals or something like that...

8SteelTown said:
Anyone have any experience with Hecks? Seen it on TV and has some heavy claims to disrupt electrical signals or something like that...

In my opinion its a gimmick.

8SteelTown said:

The company is called HECS. The company bases its success on the material used being a "Faraday cage". This is supposed to suppress electronic or electromagnetic emission.

I call no bueno! For this to really work, the individual would need to ground themselves to the garment. Much like a person who works on sensitive electronics in a manufacturing or engineering environment. Also if the clothing is a true "Faraday cage" you would be able to put your cell phone in your pocket and it would never receive calls or text. These are basic facts.

Great marketing though. If this was truly a great and successful product their website probably would not look like a 13 year old made it. ;D ;D ;D

I must say I like the new camo's but I hunt in flat earth tones, mostly Carharts, and I break up my outline with different colors. Movement and wind are gonna get you caught every time.

Just my humble opinion.

I'm supposed to wear camo?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu