What camo do you use?

I'm thinking back to all the guides and locals I have hunted with over the years and my recollection is that most wore blue jeans and some sort of camo upper, what I remember the most is that they knew the animal and the terrain and used that knowledge to take game consistently. Notice my avatar, I'm wearing blue jeans and a camo top, that animal never knew I was there until I walked up on him as he was taking his last breath from the mortal shot I inflicted. Camo may help a little bit but it will never trump skill and knowledge.

I've looked at the Sitka gear in the past; very nice stuff. But beyond my budget, by a long shot.

I think I paid $39 for my overalls and a matching shirt was $7, and it's lasted me since 2008. I guess I'll sit back and keep an eye out for deals online. If I blow $200 on a pair of pants, that digs into my hunting fund big time and that's a no go.

SoCalRebelHunter said:
I've looked at the Sitka gear in the past; very nice stuff. But beyond my budget, by a long shot.

If I blow $200 on a pair of pants, that digs into my hunting fund big time and that's a no go.

That's exactly how I look at it.

Sitka gear is hard to beat. I use it almost exclusively with the exception being a few shirts. I know it is high dollar but when a pair of pants last as long as three pairs of cheaper gear the price difference makes sense. Beside that and the camo pattern it is some of the most comfortable gear I own.

Randomshot said:
Sitka gear is hard to beat. I use it almost exclusively with the exception being a few shirts. I know it is high dollar but when a pair of pants last as long as three pairs of cheaper gear the price difference makes sense. Beside that and the camo pattern it is some of the most comfortable gear I own.

I've owned the same pair of Cabelas bib overalls since 2008. They cost me $39.99 because they were a close out. Are they the best out there? Not by a long shot. But they only cost me $40 so I don't expect them to render me invisible to game. With that said, I'm sure the Sitka stuff is "da bomb" gear but well beyond my needs.

I've been looking at the Mossy Oak brush pattern and think that suits me best at this time. And I can get a whole set for less than $100.

Sdbirds said:
Snake Charmer said:
Camo is like fishing lures, it catches more humans than game, be quiet , use the wind and you'll get it done

I like that

I agree with Snake Charmer. What I will add though is:

Good gear is made with great material. Being comfortable, dry and quiet in all environments is very important to me - anyway. You can get more done, travel further faster, stalk with more awareness and effectiveness when you manage your comfort level. For me, that is what makes good clothing/gear worth the money you spend. Also, confidence in your color or camo is just icing on the cake.

I like several patterns but in the West where sage is present - I like Mossy Oak Brush, but there are several great camo patterns available.

My two cents!

wackum stackum mackum said:
Sitka ....the best wearing camo period....and the patter really works. Deer literally look right through you.I bought 2pairs of ascent pants and 2 long sleeve lightweight tees 4 years ago and the have survived flawlessly. The only pants that don't tear when hung on branches because they're stretchy. If I remember correctly so cal guided hunts was or is placing an order and I would get in on it off still possible. Non cotton and wicks and breathes you'll never be drenched in sweat.
Sitka is nice looking but I will never pay $500.00 on pants and jacket. No one will ever kill more deer for wearing Sitka gear. The new Zones Camo from Cabelas is a great value for comfort and concealment, or any other brand matched with good scent spray that you are comfortable in and can afford. The new Hecs outer wear suit is scientifically proven to get you closer to deer. For a $150 its worth looking into.

I'm kinda tied between mossy oak brush (which did great for me last year) and Predator camo. I tend to wear the brush camo when I hunt areas near warner springs and wear the predator camo up top on palomar during archery season. For spring I'm almost always wearing mossy oak obsession and mossy oak duck blind for duck season.

I have been thinking about trying the new zones camo. It changes color with the temp change. And they have it in western brush and woodlands. When it gets colder it turns the color of winter sage and in the spring and summer it turns a greener shade.

I'm a Sitka guy but the pattern has nothing to do with it It's all about fit, comfort & function. My newbies all turn away because of the price then they get the cheap stuff and regret it. Next time your in camp find a Sitka guy and compare noise comfort and fit then you'll know why we buy Sitka.

Buy once cry once!

I also have the HEC camo. It's not made for exterior clothing it gets snagged on everything and is very warm.

It's not designed to dissipate static electricity that's why no grounding wires it's design is to cover electrical fields. Now it does work but you must wear it all. Infact once I put the head net on my dogs all start growling at me I take the head net off they stop.
I've used it on yotes and turkeys and have had good luck such good luck that the turkeys walk right by me with no alarm and no shot at them. Now for yotes in Baja they are tricky dogs to get close for a shot so we flush the yotes to the guy in the HEC and the dogs don't see it coming until the shot. I have used it on deer in Laguna Mt. and they look in your direction trying to figure what the hell you are but they don't bolt right away.

Is it worth having maybe if your real close or walking and trying to bump up game. But other factors are more important.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu