WHAT DO YOU HUNT WITH????????

Do you hunt with a rifle, bow or both?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have no clue how I missed this thread, anyways I have committed to the stick and string for almost everything I pursue with the exception of our feathered friends dove, duck, quail and pheasant. I do have a safe full of rifles and a muzzle loader I never shoot. I am looking at getting some new glass to put on my 22-250 and I am sure John will help me with tbat purchase. And to respond to Suburban Adventuress it is a totally different game when you are trying to put a stalk on a deer and need to get in to 45 yards minimum, and you can tale it with a rifle at over 100-700 yards depending on your skills. No disrespect to rifle guys, I have not got it done on a deer with either :'(. But I have shot a Boar, coyotes, rabbits and a gopher with my bow.

I will hunt with both, no preference. What I do prefer is to glass an animal up and stalk that animal to with in 40yds or 400 yds. Rifle , bow doesn't matter it all feels great!!

I picked up a bow for the first time in my life 9 months ago, I have never been so addicted to something in my life!! I truly love just shooting a target in the back yard, and you can practice anywhere you have a safe shooting area at least 10-20 yards. At first it is all about muscle memory and getting muscle exercise. If you ever get a chance, drive down to the bow and arrow shop and shoot a couple arrows and you will see what I mean.

Longbow hunter, you are HARDCORE for using a traditional bow! I learned archery on a 37lb recurve, but have not pulled a bowstring for at least 40 years (yikes! That's longer than most of the experienced hunters on SCH have been alive!)
Anyway I digress. What I meant to say is that I'm thinking of taking up the bow to extend my season, but I think I'm gonna have to go with a compound bow.

Sent via Tapatalk

Traditional bows be it Recurves or Long bows take a lot of practice just to get OK. I have been shooting both for about 6yrs now and shot 3 deer, and I am not as good as I'd like to be especially at 35yds and further, IMO most people don't want to put that much time and effort in it. It is a difficult weapon to get good with, but I am all about getting close, when I got my first compound bow I took it to Bruce, he dialed me in good enough to get started shooting pretty accurate at 20yds pretty quick, compounds are more desirable because you can achieve positive results pretty fast compared to trad bows. OKI so its all about the bow for the rest of the year for me anyway. what do I hunt with? Rifle,bow,Shot gun Air rifle and a slingshot.

First off I agree, traditional for hunting is not for the faint hearted. it is difficult to hunt with. far as I am concern I am still a rookie. even though I have been hunting for decades. sometimes I do wonder why I started with traditional. first year I got lucky, second year missed two opportunities. this year I yielded on the conservative by not taking a shot I maybe should of, or could of. Bottom line Compound is more productive. Yet I still try. :p
and it takes constant practicing. I can hit a plate size target at 30 yards. 20 yards & 10 yards, at 40 yards I struggle but I manage to hit with most of my arrows. but it takes practicing every week , 52 weeks a year. I practice more during the off season. I love 3 d shoots, I like practicing with compound archers because it makes me try harder. I will probably never do better than compound at long distance. 8)

Depends on what I'm hunting. Upland game birds=shotgun
Big game=Rem. 700 .308
Small game like rabbits= .22LR

Looking into getting a bow in the next year or so, for big game and turkey(eventually).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upland game: 12guage shotty. Big game: rem 700 270 win or 300 win mag or 300 wby mag also shoot a mathews monster 7.0 but im getting ready to sell it to buy a new bowtech

JoseC tapatalk pro

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu