What do you like to do with ducks?

msteiger

Oct 16, 2012
San Diego
I'm going water fowling this weekend for the first time. Three days of whacking birds at the Colorado River.

What are your favorite ways to dress, process, and cook waterfowl?

Remove breast meat and filet it. I like to make an asian stir fry with it. Or just wrap it with bacon and grill it.

i like to shoot mine in the face.....

Simplest, breast them, season with what you like and grill them medium rare.

Sometimes, marinate breasts in Bernsteins Italian dressing for an hour to two, season with salt/pepper to taste, grill medium rare.

Another simple recipe, breast them, cut into 1" squares, heat up sauté pan with a little olive oil, add fowl, couple table spoons of worstershire sauce, salt/pepper to taste, sauté medium rare. Serve with rice or on its own.

Catching the medium rare theme? If you like eating liver (I do!), you can cook it more, bit I still like it medium rare.

Get some birds and eat 'em!

Buy a grinder, if your going to shoot many....The meat makes great chili, spaghetti, and any dish that takes ground meat....I also make a lot of jerky with them.

I hate liver!................ :p

I'm naive, but I have delusions of trying to use as much as the animal as possible. Here are the specific things I'm thinking. Feel free to tell me where I'm wrong/crazy.

1) With store ducks the fat and the skin are the best part. Probably the wild ones don't usually have much fat; maybe never. But I was wondering if anyone ever tried breasting them with the skin on? I'm thinking pluck the breast, then rip it out. Singe the down with a small kitchen torch.
2) I like hearts, might be tempted to keep a liver if it looked fatty. Def keep and render any fat in the body as long as it's white.
3) Skin the rest of the carcass, slow cook the legs, and make broth with the bodies.
4) I've read that canvasbacks and pintails are amazing whole roasted; therefore worth the effort to fully pluck.
5) Other than all these, treat like beef; specifically ribeye.

Of course I do have to get some first. But I like to plan for all possible events.

SurfNHuntSD said:
sdhunter said:
Huntndogs said:
Liver is Fowl or is it Foul?
Craving some fried chicken livers from DZ Akins after all this liver talk!
Oh man! That sounds good but I could never stray away from my usual DZ order.. liverwurst and pastrami on rye with a bowl of mish mash soup!

Stop it you guys.........I'm about to have dinner..........Where's the puke icon.........lol

Haha. Matt, I'm with you, SDhunter and the organ-eaters.
Not to jack the thread, but... Roast venison heart, anyone?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417746685.729532.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417746685.729532.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 19
Bonejour said:
Haha. Matt, I'm with you, SDhunter and the organ-eaters.
Not to jack the thread, but... Roast venison heart, anyone?
I'd try that! Looks awesome. I love going to Brazilian BBQ restaurants that serve chicken hearts, but they're minuscule compared to that big boy.

Since we've gone on tangent...Goose livers are the bomb! Sliced and sautéed in olive oil with salt and pepper. My MIL who's full German turned me on to it.

sdhunter said:
Sometimes, marinate breasts in Italian dressing for an hour to two, season with salt/pepper to taste, grill medium rare.

I do this with all my game birds.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu