What is this bush, and what pants are its nemesis?

SoCalElkLvr

Nov 17, 2019
So, I run into these a lot while hunting/hiking. They are typically about 1 to 3 feet tall (some are much bigger), sprawling, thorny, and catch just about any material that touches them.
I recently bought some First Lite Corrugate Guide pants, in hopes of wearing something more resistant to thorny plants, than the Sitka Ascent ones I normally wear.
After 1 day, the First Lite pants look like a pack of feral cats ate pounds of catnip, and had their way with them. Not good.

What the hell are these plants called, and anyone find a quality pant that can stand up to them?

20201017_133517.jpg

First Lite Sawbuck Brush Pants for me - so far six days busting brush without a second thought and they look like new!

Them bstrds sure dont mind the truck...once you step out ...game over..tuff sobs no doubt...man..

I refuse to wear cotton (death cloth) when I hunt. The stuff doesn’t breath and once I start sweating it’s miserable. I wore out a pair of cabela’s synthetic upland pants (their new version is $129), and I know that first lite makes an upland pant with a durable front face called “sawbuck” that goes for $149. They are intended for brush and would offer more protection than their other pants. I now have a pair of Pyke synthetic upland pants ($200). Pricy, but made in USA and they are the most comfortable yet durable hunting pants I’ve ever owned. Highly recommended.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu