What is your archery comfort zone..???

ultimatedude

Aug 9, 2012
Burbank
Hey there...I am wondering what everyones comfort zone is when it comes to letting an arrow fly at a deer..? mine is about 40 yards...recently i took a shot at a deer at 51yards, a bit out of my zone and missed....any input would be awesome.!! ;)

30.. just being real. At the range I can hit a small plate at 40 all day but in a hunting situation I worry about pulling one. I'd rather not chance a wounded deer. I don't even set a pin past 40.

While I am comfortable shooting out to 50 yards the longest shot I prefer to take is 30 yards although I killed my best turkey at 46 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the light and a number of other variables. I put in a lot of work practicing at different ranges up to 80 yards. In perfect conditions (i.e. deer bedded down or otherwise completely stationary, plenty of light to see housing, pins, peep and all details of the animal's shoulder surface landmarks, etc), I'd probably draw on anything out to 60. But the short answer is I'd be good in most hunting situations up to 40-45 yards. Two weeks ago I passed on a bear at 54 yards because we just ran out of light. I anchored; just couldn't see the pins and his anatomy well enough to release. I think it's the last thing you have to check off before every shot, with whatever you are shooting: are you sure you can put it where you want it? Hmmm... Did I say "short answer"?

Tough question. Every person you ask will have a different comfort zone. Every opportunity will be in a different situation. I practice longer distances A LOT so my answer wouldn't fit for most archery guys.

Lungpopper said:
Tough question. Every person you ask will have a different comfort zone. Every opportunity will be in a different situation. I practice longer distances A LOT so my answer wouldn't fit for most archery guys.
...especially if there's a bet riding on it

Like others have said depends on the situation. The first and only deer I have killed with my bow was a doe at 63 yards double lung, this was also the first deer I have ever even drawn back on. Last year I screwed up and wounded a buck at 67 yards because I got the fever, if I could go back I wouldn't have taken that shot, or I would have at least calmed myself down better.. I practice out to 90 yards regularly. But wouldn't take a shot from that distance. I would say perfect conditions, no buck fever, I would let one fly at 70 yards. I'm very confident in bow, I have it dialed in perfect with a 1 pin sight. It's myself I am worried most lol
Just keep practicing, try to go after some rabbits with your bow I feel like it has helped my aim quite a bit.

I agree with above statement . I regularly practice out to 120 but I would only feel comfortable pulling the trigger at 70 or below depending on the situation. I recently passed on a huge 4x4 in Arizona at 62 yards due to wind and poor vital shot. Just my cent

Dude I suck. 40 max and it would have to be perfect. I did the angle on a buck I saw the other day 88 at the angle turned to 66 still to far for me.

Sdbirds said:
Dude I suck. 40 max and it would have to be perfect. I did the angle on a buck I saw the other day 88 at the angle turned to 66 still to far for me.

How far was that shot on the frog when you split it's lips with the arrow?

Josh Pearson said:
Sdbirds said:

How far was that shot on the frog when you split it's lips with the arrow?

33 yards

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 16

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu