WHAT THE HECK IS THIS?

steveo007

Nov 24, 2011
chula vista
was up in laguna yesterday looking for turkeys, no luck, came across these 4 pine trees with sting wrapped around them, hanging
from the string were little pouches, so I opened one it looked and smelt like potpourri. anyone see something like this or know what its for.
By the way we did find two tree stands in the area.

Attachments

• potpurri 1.jpg
    potpurri 1.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 65
  • potpurri 2.jpg
    potpurri 2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 49
Very weird. Did a bunch of web searches but couldn't find anything like this. You'd imagine you'd see other things in the area if it were meant for something.

set up your game cam. would be cool to see who comes to get it

Definitly set up a trail cam in the area!!! Maybe not on the exact spot but close by incase the user of the stringed bags is looking around or doing something suspicious

steveo007 said:
I was thinking satanic ritual myself!

hahahaha no it is not,
that would be with dead things laying a round. and satanic writings & markings.

this is offerings to the great spirits and ancestors, it's a Native American style.
I done this my self with tobacco and sage.

Ghost

Pet cemetery
https://youtu.be/s4Gr3FsJ4A0

I was hoping for some real answers, some said it was baiting so I was curious for some answers, when it looked and smelt like potpourri, ive heard that any strange
odors would spook the deer and from my observation none of those bags were nibbled or missing, so if it were a good luck ritual putting it 20 yards from your stand seems
non productive ,and that's assuming the hunters put it there. who knows could have been some tree huggers trying to keep the deer out of there. And you all know what happens
when you assume.????

steveo007 said:
I was hoping for some real answers, some said it was baiting so I was curious for some answers, when it looked and smelt like potpourri, ive heard that any strange
odors would spook the deer and from my observation none of those bags were nibbled or missing, so if it were a good luck ritual putting it 20 yards from your stand seems
non productive ,and that's assuming the hunters put it there. who knows could have been some tree huggers trying to keep the deer out of there. And you all know what happens
when you assume.????

Steve

if it was placed near or right next to deer stands, then yes it was tree huggers, screwing with hunters. they pull this shit up there all the time. I have had runners running by on deer trails and on the fire roads yelling at the top of their lungs just to rile stuff up.

To be honest I have no idea. If you think it's bad or might be illegal in a way, you should report it to a warden.

I found something similar once around the lake Morena area in some trees during archery. There was a small what I would say cage or trap I am assuming made from sticks and it was sitting right in the middle of the triangle of strings and small pouches like that tied around. Seen some stuff tied to bushes in Mccain also.To be honest it is kind of creepy when your by your self miles from any road and you are not packin lol

Cali Ridge Runner said:
I found something similar once around the lake Morena area in some trees during archery. There was a small what I would say cage or trap I am assuming made from sticks and it was sitting right in the middle of the triangle of strings and small pouches like that tied around. Seen some stuff tied to bushes in Mccain also.To be honest it is kind of creepy when your by your self miles from any road and you are not packin lol

Look close in the picture there are also some sticks propped up in the middle

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu