Whats in your bag?

Wildgame

Feb 11, 2019
I really enjoy traveling light when I hunt. If I get a Deer then I could not care less how much I need to carry out..I will get it home.

Here is what I found this season has worked well for me for a whole day hunt with the possibility of having to crush in the woods in an emergency. It looks like a bunch but it is all small and fit and many pockets of the bag.

The binos and range finder, of course, don't go in the bag. Neither does the big knife. I do not carry a Spotting scope or tripod and I only hunt with a bow.

2L water bladder most of the time, plus 1L water bottle if traveling a little further or if it is hot.
Sawyer Mini water purification system depending on where I am going.
Paracord and orange marking tape.
Small cellphone battery pack, My phone is my GPS.
Wind Indicator.
Self-locking pulley system to elevate and hang meat from a tree.
Headlamp and a small waterproof handheld flashlight
Never ever go without a kneck gator, it catches sweat, I also use it to cover my face when windy and dusty.
2 Lighters and Cotton balls covered with Vaseline (In the little orange tube)
Game bags
Processing knive with replacement blades.
Multitool with a saw in it.
Rubber gloves.
A large garbage bag.
A couple of Ziptides for the Tag.
A beanie that goes over my cap when it gets cold.
Extra socks or 2 for a SOS (Shoes off situation)
First aid kit that includes survivor essentials like a compass whistle, blanket and such.
Mans best friend Duck tape to patch my feet. I had to do it twice the last season.
Mans second best friend..TP/wipes :)
A mosquito mask just in case waiting behind a bush gets buggy,

It all fits in my Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28 with plenty of room for more water, a puffy Jackett and food essentials. The bag is IMHO the only bag you will ever need for local D16 one day hunt.
The bag has a hidden external extendable frame & shelve so you never carry the meat inside the bag. The bag is pricey but I can't imagine you will need another one. It even accommodates hiking poles.

When I am not hunting for deer or when I am scouting then I use my Cabelas Fanny pack.

Whats in your bag?

.Gear1.jpgGear2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow!...I'd say you're pretty prepared...And my have things changed...:scream:

I hunted all over the Eastern Sierra's & Nevada...Military Canteen, Binos, fixed blade knife, Levi's, plaid shirt, and some kind of baseball hat...How'd we ever survive...lol

Ps...We did have Jeeps with no restrictions on where we could drive...;)

.View attachment 42747

Funny thing about all the big X zone deer I see in pics. For every Kuiu wearing "Wilderness Athlete" you see with a cape and head on his pack there's 3 or 4 guys in blue jeans and Carhart jackets with a truck in the background and a monster that's going to be hung in a tree whole, not quartered and packed out for miles. Damn locals!

A couple new additions to my kit this year..

I picked up a mini optics cleaning kit in case I need to (properly) clean binos and scope. Not necessary but it's helped at times.

More importantly, I now bring leftover Taco Bell hot sauce packets to spice up those Mountain House meals.. chili mac and breakfast skillet start tasting bland after awhile lol.

Reactions: SDLIVIN
A couple new additions to my kit this year..

I picked up a mini optics cleaning kit in case I need to (properly) clean binos and scope. Not necessary but it's helped at times.

More importantly, I now bring leftover Taco Bell hot sauce packets to spice up those Mountain House meals.. chili mac and breakfast skillet start tasting bland after awhile lol.

Way and I in Utah...The Mountain House was delish...A little hot sauce sounds good.

.047.JPG

Things have definetly gotten better as far as gear goes to hunt both with clothing and nutrition and the comfort that comes with that but from my perspective its still all about putting in the work and not making the dumb mistakes that have always existed.
It’s those dumb mistakes that haunt my dreams and keep me going back.

Water
Knife
Fire of some sort
Sawyer mini filter (it's a POS btw because it's too slow intend to replace with normal one or Katadyne)
A very small first aid kit. Mostly just the pills I use if I get a headache.
Light.
Chapstick
Sunscreen in a mini shapoo bottle.
Memory cards.
Oh and a pen with duct tape around it.

That's the basics. I'll add other stuff depending on what I'm going out and doing and weather such as ammo, binos, jacket, extra water, etc.
I just picked up a Mystery Ranch Scree 32 from an REI garage sale yesterday, brand new but missing hip belt, $55. Put my game bag belt though there and it seems like that work great for the time being. This will be replacing my old Columbia pack that I was using for birds and small game that looks like it's been to hell and back, smells like it too.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu