What's in your hunting pack?

Prime

Nov 21, 2012
North County
Hey guys,

Thought it might be interesting to see what everybody is hauling around with them when they're out hunting. I'll start.

- Large pack
- Minimum of 1 gallon of water, up to 2 gallons.
- Food for length of trip
- Clothes, layers...gets cold in the mornings during deer season.
- Field trauma first aid kit
- Basic survival tools
- GPS and compass
- Map for the area
- Headlamp and flashlight
- Spare batteries
- Sunscreen
- Binos and spotting scope
- Knives and a multi tool
- Rifle/Shotgun
- Ammo
- Bags for meat, gloves, etc
- License and tag, etc
- Pens and a small notepad

All in all, I'm in for about 37-45 pounds depending on how much water I bring.

Kuiu 3200 pack
small first aid kit
70 oz of water
3-4 cliff bars
license-tags
1 game bag
havalon knife with 6 extra blades
1 light weight 6" saw
1/4 - 1/2 a roll toilet paper
1 pen
1 headlamp
light weight jacket
6 rounds ammo
binos
This is for a day trip and depending on the weapon I take my total weight will vary from 21 - 24 pounds.

For over night trips I add
down vest
bivey
sleeping pad
if its over 50 degrees at night I take a quilt, if its under 50 degrees I take a sleeping bag this can vary from 1 - 3 pounds
16 oz bottle of water
jet boil stove
mountain house meal
1- 2 cliff bars
This will add 7 - 10 pounds to my pack.

About 36 pounds max for an overnight trip.

1 gallon of water is 8.36lbs......this is the biggest obstacle in SoCal.....don't underestimate the amount of water you need it could be life or death.....kid you not!

from previous backpacking/hiking exp bringing that reserve container w/ something like Gatorade is a nice change up. especially If you're walking in 4+ miles. either if you run out of water or you need a pick me up, that stuff does well with the sugar.

Again......How'd guys do it in the old days......This is my dad in 1949......Him and his 2 brothers hiked into the lower Sierra's deer hunting.....Everything was pretty much military issue.....They had one canteen each.....They found water at an old miners cabin.....Slept on the ground with mummy bag.....He said he almost froze to death, till they found the old cabin.

Man, are we soft..........:laughing:

.scodie Mt 1947.jpg

No doubt Darryl.......Gear has come a long way from those days......;)

ps......I still have a canteen......:laughing:

I'm gearing up for a week long backcountry trip, good info in here guys.

I'm looking into food that will last on the trail and be calorie rich enough but also not weigh too much. Mountain home sounds to be the defacto, I found another company called "Heather's Choice" http://www.heatherschoice.com/ and so far the meals have been delicious but on the expensive side.

I'll be smoking and vacuum sealing some tuna for the trip and probably make some jerky. What do you guys take?

I take mainly mountain home, jerky, a few energy bars, dehydrated bananas, and trail mix. Smoked fish is a good idea. I'll remember that for my next trip.

You can also buy MRE from military surplus stores. What I do is open them and take out what I want for the trip. Problem with MRE is they can be heavy but they are real simple and you can eat them cold if you are in a hurry. As long as you break them down they don't weigh much.

You can also buy MRE from military surplus stores. What I do is open them and take out what I want for the trip. Problem with MRE is they can be heavy but they are real simple and you can eat them cold if you are in a hurry. As long as you break them down they don't weigh much.

From mil experience....if you're takin MRE take extra toilet paper and pepto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bonejour

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu