What's the Lightest, Smallest-packable waterproof Rain-jacket outer layer out there available in RealTree Xtra or Kryptek Highlander?

TheGDog

Nov 28, 2018
XX
What's the Lightest, Smallest-packable waterproof Rain-jacket outer layer out there available in RealTree Xtra or Kryptek Highlander?

Got a Frogg-Togg's one I keep in my pack. But it sure seems unnecessarily bulky to me. Figured for sure somebody here could point me toward a nicer thinner one they themselves have actually used in harsh downpours and give a thumbs-up about.

I always have an emergency poncho with me. (They work good at protecting the backpack) But I couldn't get away with wearing one while trying to sit on my spot and remain concealed with all that shiny plastic. Typically I use them to lay the deer on when processing them too, to keep them off the ground directly while cutting to try and be cleaner about it.

Probably one of the rain jackets made by Kuiu. Light, packable technical gear is their thing. Won't be in those patterns though. I don't hunt in the rain enough to justify their cost.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Thanks, yeah.. those patterns won't work here in SoCal. And definitely pricey. I'm just looking for the thin outermost layer. GoreTex shell. That kinda thing, but with one of those camo patterns on it so it will show from witin the Mesh Ghillie Suit.

Thanks, yeah.. those patterns won't work here in SoCal. And definitely pricey. I'm just looking for the thin outermost layer. GoreTex shell. That kinda thing, but with one of those camo patterns on it so it will show from witin the Mesh Ghillie Suit.
Any reason why you guys are not looking at Krypteks website and at their rain gear they offer I think 3 different lines of rain gear. I use Kryptek gear and I like it.
Side note I know a lot of guys who kill stuff wearing Kuiu in So Cal. I wouldn’t read to much into Camo patterns most of the time I wear plain clothes. Animals eyes are a lot different than ours. Camo is fun though don’t get me wrong.

I merely mentioned the camo patterns not looking good for SoCal because for myself, in this spot I've been hitting heavily. Concealment gear is a big part of the equation in being successful there (along with not freaking moving) because it's quite an exposed location, once a critter is in the FOV. I'm a big believer in just how much concealment gear works.

For example... I took this 14 minutes of video by just carefully reaching into my pocket and pulling out my cellphone and putting it into video record mode. I'm sitting there... on a tripod stool... bow on my lap, with an arrow knocked in it, kinda backed up into a small nook beside a scrub oak.

In the video... you can tell at one point the Mama Doe knows something doesn't seem right.. that I might be something of concern for her. If I remember corrrectly, I think she saw my eyes move a little. No way in hell I could record this much video in plain clothes. Just no way.

I'll checkout Kryptek's site, thanks.

Reactions: oscar and sherpa
I merely mentioned the camo patterns not looking good for SoCal because for myself, in this spot I've been hitting heavily. Concealment gear is a big part of the equation in being successful there (along with not freaking moving) because it's quite an exposed location, once a critter is in the FOV. I'm a big believer in just how much concealment gear works.

For example... I took this 14 minutes of video by just carefully reaching into my pocket and pulling out my cellphone and putting it into video record mode. I'm sitting there... on a tripod stool... bow on my lap, with an arrow knocked in it, kinda backed up into a small nook beside a scrub oak.

In the video... you can tell at one point the Mama Doe knows something doesn't seem right.. that I might be something of concern for her. If I remember corrrectly, I think she saw my eyes move a little. No way in hell I could record this much video in plain clothes. Just no way.

I'll checkout Kryptek's site, thanks.

I remember being in a cabelas and they had these super thin, packable pants and jackets. It came in camo colors, goretex and might be perfect for what you are looking for.

Reactions: TheGDog
I remember being in a cabelas and they had these super thin, packable pants and jackets. It came in camo colors, goretex and might be perfect for what you are looking for.

That is what I run, they are about the 50-75% of the size of a nalgene bottle.

Ya happen to remember anything related to the model name? Something that would help me zero-in on it within their site?

What ever you get better test them.
Take them out in the rain and snow.
On a trial run. If I could afford it for
Heavy duty camo rain gear I would buy them. Getting wet and cold is not an option. I use cheapo stuff. But it fits my
Budget. Yet it works.

Marketers must love you guys.....IMO camo is one of the most overrated part of gear for deer hunting.....Their eyesight is not honed in on colors (black & white)….I've worn the same packable Cabela's Gore-Tex suit (size of a loaf of bread) for years.....Wore it today with Josh deer hunting….He had super expensive KUIU gear.....I was just as dry as him and the deer could care less.

.002.JPG
What about the pants. Need pants to keep the legs dry.

The bread loaf size bag includes pants....All green and Gore-tex

I believe you are correct on the Camo not making much difference Steve. Kuiu, Sitka, Kryptek are all athletic wear with a Camo pattern.
Doesn’t hurt to be comfortable while hiking. How many baseball games did you play in your Levi’s and flannel shirts ?? ;)

Darryl,

Pretty sure it wouldn't make much difference.....Actually, may have played better.....lol

.rookie year 1970.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu