Where to buy tags?

Jkgts1

Oct 25, 2018
Just curious if I can buy tags at bass pro shop, big 5, turners etc? I think I can purchase a hunting license at these places, but what about tags? I know I can get them online, but just want to know.

Answer is yes but depends.
On the tags if it's a premium
It will be a draw. If you get it.
It will be mailed to you.
Read the DFW digest. It explains it all.

Big5 sells Over the counter tags, they also sell the California Adventure Pass thing you need to hang on your mirror when you park your car in the forest.

" California Adventure Pass thing you need to hang on your mirror when you park your car in the forest " if the ranger handing out tickets likes to argue with the federal court. Smith. His supervisors will get invited too but you have to know what's legal and what is not.

Also make sure you search for and get the map that shows (for example in D11/Azusa) all the areas where hunting with Guns is allowed... and the areas where hunting only with Bow is allowed. And some areas don't allow either.

Also... Mt. Wilson.... the whole entire road going up to the observatory and the antennaes states "Firearms are Prohibited" with signs posted at regular intervals....even though... on the map of which areas you are supposed to be able to hunt with guns in... it is entirely within that green area which would indicate gun-legal. So go figure. There are staff which actually live and reside on-site, so it technically is also a home as well.

I mention this so you can be prepared mentally just in case the place you think you want to go to... these .. ahem... *people*... go and change-up the rules on ya.

Reactions: SOLUTESHUNN
Oh.. and also... apparently there are some roads in D11 which you *can* get access codes to? But you have to go to some office in Glendora and fill-out a pen-and-paper application... and apparently they only give you an access code that's good for 2 weeks? I was quite upset to learn this myself. Because by virtue of the mere fact that you have to actually go in person to do the dang application... and many of us live quite a ways away from these places... realistically you'd only have the use of the code for 1 weekend, since it'd take ya that 1st weekend to jump thru all their stupid hoops!

Reactions: SOLUTESHUNN
Also... be advised... there are times when local authorities pull some shady stuff and elect to close-off access to certain areas coincidentally right at the deer season in that area begins! Now isn't that a coincidence? In D15 this year, these jagholes closed-off the road I needed for the first 2 weeks of the general season! I'd taken off PTO time from work and everything!

And you have to get an overnight visitors permit in this particular area right.... and I did all that isht way early and everything... and then I had to inform them that I got a new vehicle so the license plate info would need to be change on my permit... he takes my changed info in the email and then he goes and pulls this "Oh..BTW... I was just told that the road going in there will be closed for 2 weeks starting the Monday after opener weekend...." crap on me! And then.... after those 2 weeks? When I then got to drive in there.... when I saw how small of an amount of area they actually did any work on? I was FURIOUS!! There is no way in HELL is took them 2 weeks to do that meager amount of patch work. The only patch of any appreciable size was about a 40yd stretch on a downhill sharp turn. The rest where just tiny spot patches, maybe just over a dozen. Ain't no way in Hell that amount of work should require 2 weeks.

Others on forums have also actually laid eyes on their local LEO's going into areas they've closed off, specifically to hunt in them!

So anyway, just be aware that sometimes shenanigans happen as well.

Turner's in El cajon has good sales on ammo.
I use my local dealer in Alpine ca.
Right to bear arms. These guys carry lots of Ammo.

Also fine firearms in la Mesa always had stock when I was in the neighborhood

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu