Which calls have worked the best for you on Black Bear?

TheGDog

Nov 28, 2018
XX
For those that have used calling as a means to bring in Black Bear, which calls have you had success with?

Please include make/model info of call where possible.

Also, if there's a call timing sequence pattern you felt worked better when trying to bring the bears in. Please mention that as well. (Call for this much time, wait for this much time)

Who makes the most realistic Fawn Distress Mouth call that's easiest to blow/master?

Thank you.

Reactions: Sdhunt17
I'd seriously like to hear from others who have utilized predator calling to bring in bears. Thank You.

Sorry dog...no help here, scared a few off with a call
.but never had one come into slaughter...spot and stalk has put many on the ground for this bear hunter though...good luck in the quest! Be the bear!

There was a spot once before where I was calling for yotes.. and up above me on opposite ridge... loud-ass "CRACK!"... sounded like half a tree getting busted over. But... unfortunately from my vantage point I couldn't see the hikers approaching that must have shoo'd whatever that was away. Tried callin' it back in after they went back and waited like 10 min. Had a nice little spot where they couldn't sneak in behind be without me knowing. And there was fairly recent scat there that morning.

So I'm hoping with all this cooler weather we've been having all year here that maybe it might discourage the yuppies into doing something else. We'll see. And if not... I'll be happy with a Grey Fox or Yote coming in as well.

Been thinking like 11-12 days before hand might hike some used Olive Oil down in there and slather up a tree near a watering hole. Let that drive'em crazy past the 10-days stated in the regs. Then creep in some afternoon after that and give the calling a try.

I'm pretty sure I remember reading you can't do electronic calls for bear, so gotta be mouth calls. But been getting in a lot of practice with em over this year.

Also read y'day that for calling you should try to be Uphill from them, oddly enough. Think I know exactly where to go to. WE'll see how it goes. Worst case scenario, my lungs will get a needed workout.

But hey... if you would... ask around to all your buddies and see if any of them have any suggestions and tips for somebody looking to call'em in. I'd appreciate any little tricks and tips. Thanks Hatch.

Last edited:
There was a spot once before where I was calling for yotes.. and up above me on opposite ridge... loud-ass "CRACK!"... sounded like half a tree getting busted over. But... unfortunately from my vantage point I couldn't see the hikers approaching that must have shoo'd whatever that was away. Tried callin' it back in after they went back and waited like 10 min. Had a nice little spot where they couldn't sneak in behind be without me knowing. And there was fairly recent scat there that morning.

So I'm hoping with all this cooler weather we've been having all year here that maybe it might discourage the yuppies into doing something else. We'll see. And if not... I'll be happy with a Grey Fox or Yote coming in as well.

Been thinking like 11-12 days before hand might hike some used Olive Oil down in there and slather up a tree near a watering hole. Let that drive'em crazy past the 10-days stated in the regs. Then creep in some afternoon after that and give the calling a try.

I'm pretty sure I remember reading you can't do electronic calls for bear, so gotta be mouth calls. But been getting in a lot of practice with em over this year.

Also read y'day that for calling you should try to be Uphill from them, oddly enough. Think I know exactly where to go to. WE'll see how it goes. Worst case scenario, my lungs will get a needed workout.

But hey... if you would... ask around to all your buddies and see if any of them have any suggestions and tips for somebody looking to call'em in. I'd appreciate any little tricks and tips. Thanks Hatch.

The baiting time limit is from the last time bait was present. So say you dropped a bag of corn in a pond, the 10 days starts once the last piece of corn is gone. So I don't think the game warden would like you sitting on an oiled tree.

Hrmm... Ok...fair enough... well... there is another liquid substance for which deer are attracted to the smell, and it would probably attract bear as well, and they can't eat it/ingest it anymore from the moment you've poured it out. Guess we'll have to try that then.

Last edited:
As long they cant/dont eat it, its not bait, it is a scent. So if you put it on a tree and they start eating the tree it becomes bait, guard the tree after you apply it. Put it on rocks or big boulders, not many rock eaters around. Traps work also. I am allowed to hunt near my traps because no big game animal can enter the trap to eat, they can just smell it so its considered a scent. But if they smash my trap and eat it then its considered bait.

Reactions: TheGDog
As long they cant/dont eat it, its not bait, it is a scent. So if you put it on a tree and they start eating the tree it becomes bait, guard the tree after you apply it. Put it on rocks or big boulders, not many rock eaters around. Traps work also. I am allowed to hunt near my traps because no big game animal can enter the trap to eat, they can just smell it so its considered a scent. But if they smash my trap and eat it then its considered bait.
It's my understanding that the moment they lick that rock, that's considered ingesting what you put upon that rock, so that's baiting.

Last edited:
How about going dumpster diving behind a buffet? That would get a bears attention!

When I go deer hunting, I’ll rub my clothes down with apples and ground up acorns. I don’t know if it works, but I figured it couldn’t hurt.

When I go deer hunting and it's go time. In my cargo pockets I shove some Spearmint leaves I pluck from my front yard planter.

Also in my Guide Lid in the zippered bag I put my snacks in... I put a sprig of Rosemary I pluck from a plant in my front yard. Rosemary is a nice strong "green" smell so doesn't take much. I dunno... I figure if they smell the "hiker snacks" that would for sure spook'em. I do as much scent control stuff as I can once the season comes up. I clean out the inside of my truck, and then I don't let the dogs in my car during that whole time.

I have a whole-room ozone generator out in the garage. So the night before I run it for 30min to kill off any possible smells leaking into the air from the washer and dryer. Also my pool chlorine tablets are stored in the garage as well, so that's also why I run the ozone generator, since it destroys any VOC's chemical residue.

My concern with rosemary and mint is that if they aren’t native (or growing) in the area you hunt, the scent is foreign to them, and might send them the other way. My thought with the acorns was that they were their normal food source. As for the apples, they aren’t native to the areas I hunted, but a lot of people living in the area grew apples and the deer would scarf up every one they could reach.

My thoughts on the dumpster for bears is that bears are opportunistic feeders. Stinky smelly crap says easy meal to them. Just hope you see them before they find you.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Another scent they find intriguing? Beer spilt on the ground! And this was like a week afterward too!

It was a spot on my younger bros property northern half of D11 sorta by Gorman. His property borders the NF.

We'd setup the beers the week before as Targets for my boy. The next week I was out there during beginning of deer season.

Long story much shorter, this Doe was really curious about the area they had been sitting at! She really really sniffed at the ground there.

This is where he had his Target Gong Steel setup. So there'd be no good reason for her to sniff at that empty ground.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu