which goose call

dantheman

Jan 4, 2015
orange county
I went to wister last sat and had a blast, with the help of ilovesprig i got into a good blind. Thank you. I got 3 teal and one pintail. Most I've gotten so far as this is my first season. Well i seen quite a few snows and had nothing to call at them. I was trying to figure out what snow goose call to buy, so what do you guys think. I'm willing to spend around 150 if I have to if necessary.

I would leave the call at home and focus on learning the ducks better. With less than 2 weeks left in the season it is not going to be enough time to be proficient with any call, let alone a snow call.

Take some time in the off season and see if you want to get into geese. Geese and ducks are a whole seperate ball game. I would recommend trying to talk to some of the seasoned snow goose hunters at Wister.

Simply buying a call and getting a snow goose remotely interested to take a look (probably sky bust range) may just mess up the guys out there actually targeting the geese.

We have had many times groups of snows swing us at 30-50 yards while other snow goose guys are working them in a dry field. We let them pass and actually hold our shots on ducks until they can finish the birds or the birds bug out of there.

I recommend learning things slowly. Although fun to shoot lots of different birds and especially exciting when new to waterfowling sometimes the slow and steady approach is a little better.

Just my 2 cents of course...

Niccs advice is dead on. The time required to learn how to call geese is very lengthy, it's not learned in two weeks.

Calls

The Sean Mann Poly White Call is a very good call at a great price, good starter call.

Performance Calls, they make a nice acrylic

I will be adding a Redbone snow call after the season, gives me time to save up for it and time to learn how to use it

Most call companies have sound files, take advantage of them

Thanks for the advice guys, yea I wasn't thinking about even trying this season I just want one now to practice for next season. Gotta start somewhere. I practice my duck calling in my truck on my way to work. But I am absolutley addicted to waterfowl hunting. I am trying to find a duck calling seminar to really learn how to call, and when, or when not to call. Also wanted to be prepared if the seminar was a duck and goose class. This past sat was the first time I had birds land in my decks and it was such a cool feeling. I can't wait to get back at it next sat. Gonna sweat line it at wister

Those Redbones are $$$$$$ :eek:

I looked around a few years ago, did a bunch of reading, and decided on the White Out. Easy to run.

Here are some interesting videos:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9fpgCnlU9Q[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El7ZyvwemjI[/youtube]

Yes the Redbones are expensive, but when it comes to goose hunting especially snows there is no part that is cheap

The White Outs are great calls for hunting So Cal snows because the birds are in small groups and they are willing to land with small groups of geese. The point is they will go to a small amount of calling.

I hunt up north and those geese are looking to land with huge flocks, basically a lil White Out will not produce the volume of a Redbone.

The Sean Mann video above is really good

Dan,

Buying calls is addictive......I have a million calls for all species......lol..... For snows, I basically have 3 snow calls.....The White Out, Herters Ya Ya, and Foiles Tundra Saver.

Here's Kid Creole, our friend Mike, and myself at Wister......Ya Ya & Tundra Saver.

ps......Glad you had a good shoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC4SLEf0S7E

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu