Who is going Pheasant Hunting next weekend (Nov. 10-11)

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
I think Dieter, SoCalHunter and I are heading out for a little dove & pheasant hunting next weekend at IV. Anyone else going?

I'm fantasizing about it. Never been (obviously), but trying to convince a buddy or two to come along. I was looking into the 'game fields' out there. Is that where it's at? Or does one need to know a few secret spots?

Not sure what a pheasant hunting schedule looks like, but if I go I might try to squeeze in a little fishing too at Salton Sea or in the canals.

The DFG pheasant fields are planted (so yes you could hunt that - lot's of people) but there are a lot of areas that have wild pheasant. I would look at fields that are South of the I8. Look where hay (alfalfa etc) type fields have a lettuce or row crop next to them and are bordered by a canal, bar ditch, water culvert etc. You will find the pheasant in those areas.

Hey, thanks for the tip. I'm unclear on where you can hunt there. Looks like there is BLM land around the town, and the DFG fields inside. But isn't all that farm land private? Wild pheasant would be cooler than stockers.

Yes it is mostly private but if it is not fenced or posted you should be ok.

msteiger said:
I thought you need written permission to hunt private land?

You do.....only if its posted "No hunting". If it is NOT posted, you're good to go. Generally row crops like lettuce, cabbage...... are off limits. If the hunters don't want you to hunt their fields, trust me, they'll post them.

Its a big valley down there but In my personal experience, try south of I-8. Find an alfalfa field and start walking it.

Yes...stay out of the row crop. ;)

So that is what they look like. What are the bigger birds on the left? ;D ;D

Breacher said:
msteiger said:

You do.....only if its posted "No hunting". If it is NOT posted, you're good to go. Generally row crops like lettuce, cabbage...... are off limits. If the hunters don't want you to hunt their fields, trust me, they'll post them.

Its a big valley down there but In my personal experience, try south of I-8. Find an alfalfa field and start walking it.

I have been thinking about this answer. Do you mean to say you can hunt ANY private land, as long as it's not posted? I have been re-reading the regs and I don't see it written in just this way.

8) My son and I go every year we head down to I.V. Friday morning and return home on Monday. We also go to get some fishing in on Friday and Monday. Good Luck to all be safe!! This is our 25th year hunting together in I.V.. ;D

msteiger said:
Breacher said:
msteiger said:

I have been thinking about this answer. Do you mean to say you can hunt ANY private land, as long as it's not posted? I have been re-reading the regs and I don't see it written in just this way.

All the fields in the Valley are private property. They are owned by someone. The fields that farmers post with "No hunting" or "No Trespassing" are off limits unless you get written permission to hunt them. The fields that don't have those signs around them are good to go. My father in law farms down there and this is how he operates. If he doesn't want you in one of his fields, he posts them. If he doesn't care, they aren't posted. Not sure what regulation wording you are referring to?

Breacher said:
msteiger said:
Breacher said:
msteiger said:

All the fields in the Valley are private property. They are owned by someone. The fields that farmers post with "No hunting" or "No Trespassing" are off limits unless you get written permission to hunt them. The fields that don't have those signs around them are good to go. My father in law farms down there and this is how he operates. If he doesn't want you in one of his fields, he posts them. If he doesn't care, they aren't posted. Not sure what regulation wording you are referring to?

Breacher thanks for engaging on this one. As a noob I want to be careful I'm staying in the legal. I understand what you are saying, from a landowner's point of view. However I have been reading the regs. In the Upland and Waterfowl it says:

ACCESS AND TRESPASS
Access to some lands and waters may be controlled by owners or administering agencies of private lands, Indian lands or reservations, waters impounded by dams, and other lands and waters. Also county ordinances may control the use of lands and waters administered by the county. In all cases it is advisable to check with the landowner or the administering agency for current regulations and to determine whether entry permits are required to be obtained for hunting or fishing on such lands. Hunters must obtain written permission from landowners before entering private property.

The big game regs also have multiple places where they say you have to have written permission. So I'm wondering if even though the land owners are cool with it, you don't have the written permission. Also, I'm not sure if you're saying you can hunt upland as long as it's not posted or anything? Can you hunt deer on private that isn't posted?

Thanks for your help dude.

Breacher thanks for engaging on this one. As a noob I want to be careful I'm staying in the legal. I understand what you are saying, from a landowner's point of view. However I have been reading the regs. In the Upland and Waterfowl it says:

ACCESS AND TRESPASS
Access to some lands and waters may be controlled by owners or administering agencies of private lands, Indian lands or reservations, waters impounded by dams, and other lands and waters. Also county ordinances may control the use of lands and waters administered by the county. In all cases it is advisable to check with the landowner or the administering agency for current regulations and to determine whether entry permits are required to be obtained for hunting or fishing on such lands. Hunters must obtain written permission from landowners before entering private property.

The big game regs also have multiple places where they say you have to have written permission. So I'm wondering if even though the land owners are cool with it, you don't have the written permission. Also, I'm not sure if you're saying you can hunt upland as long as it's not posted or anything? Can you hunt deer on private that isn't posted?

Thanks for your help dude.

That is a very good question that I can't definitively answer for you. I've been hunting down there for about 18 years now and I've always been under the impression that if it isn't posted, its open to any hunter who wants to hunt it. If it is posted, you would then need written permission to hunt it. That is how I've done it for years. If its posted, keep driving....

As for deer, the only thing that comes to mind is that private property you'd deer hunt on general has someone living on the land. The farm fields in the Valley are plots of dirt for growing stuff. I'm not really sure how to answer that question. NBK.....Lungpopper?

Anyone heading out the weekend after the opener? I've never hunting in IV wondering if someone wouldn't mind showing me the ropes out there.

Anyone have any luck? I was down here all weekend but for other events and wasn't hunting. I went driving around today (Sunday) with my son and fished some canals for catfish. Didn't see a single hunter. Heard a couple of shots way out in the distance but it seemed quiter than usual. Lots of posted fields too....

Back