Who Shoots a Traditional Muzzleloader

The costs for a rifle can range from $300+ for used Thompson to $1,000+ for a new. I bought my Pedersoli through Cabelas for $600 a couple of years ago. You can also go the Kit route if you’re handy. The cost of powder is about $36 a pound from Duncans, balls are $18 per 100, caps are $7 per 100. Patch material is from JoAnn’s fabric. Then you’ll need a few other things like a short starter, range rod, anod a couple of other small things. The cost per shot is around 60 cents. So it’s a lot cheaper than center fire and a whole lot slower.

I can give you more info if you’re interested PM me, happy to talk.

Reactions: Zak
My muzzleloader is a Pedersoli 20 ga. s x s I bought from Bass Pro maybe 25 or so yrs. ago.
It use to put quite a dent in the dove population and worry a lot of quail.
the lock time on those things are something you could time with a stop watch. Any imperfection in swing and follow thru, you would be watching breeding stock fly away.
steel shot put a stop to that kind of fun.

My muzzleloader is a Pedersoli 20 ga. s x s I bought from Bass Pro maybe 25 or so yrs. ago.
It use to put quite a dent in the dove population and worry a lot of quail.
the lock time on those things are something you could time with a stop watch. Any imperfection in swing and follow thru, you would be watching breeding stock fly away.
steel shot put a stop to that kind of fun.

What about bismuth?

Reactions: Blkpowder Hunter
What about bismuth?
I shoot a lot during dove the dove seasons. first and second. The cost of it all figured to be quite expensive, so, I figured I owed myself another shotgun.
This year I am going to 'unretire' her and use steel with shotcups. I miss that smell and if the air was still enough I had to wait a second to verify I might have hit what I shot at.
Now to redo or remake my speedloaders. It takes a little time to reload when birds are flying.

I shoot a lot during dove the dove seasons. first and second. The cost of it all figured to be quite expensive, so, I figured I owed myself another shotgun.
This year I am going to 'unretire' her and use steel with shotcups. I miss that smell and if the air was still enough I had to wait a second to verify I might have hit what I shot at.
Now to redo or remake my speedloaders. It takes a little time to reload when birds are flying.
Agree on bismuth - I looked on muzzleloadingformum.com and copied this response on what to use as a lead substitute instead of steel
"
Yes, use bismuth shot. I make my own as you see in my Avatar picture, #4 bismuth just dropped from my Oasis shot maker. You can buy the shot from the following places.
Rotometals. Zip Metals, Ballistic Products. Do a type search for those companies.
You can shoot other shot types and I have. But they still require a shot cup. They are, Tungsten Shot, which includes Hevi Shot, Hevi Weight 13, 15, TSS which is heavy weight 18, Nice Shot which is made from a Tungsten slury material which is soft like lead but can be mildly abrasive. I have shot all of these over 20 years and bismuth/tin the best. The bismuth/tin shot we have today is better than it was 20 years ago. Most commercial mixture is 5% to 6% tin mixed in with bismuth. Very close to lead like performance. You need to go up 1 shot size though unless shooting very close. Good shooting."

Reactions: Nuevo

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu