Why Are We Losing Our Deer?

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
This article is mostly about black-tail and Nocal, but much can be related to our deer here in San Diego Co.....After the big fires of 2003 & 2007, we had a boom to our deer and deer hunting....Since then, we've had a steady decline. With drought like conditions and the forests getting thicker & thicker deer are getting tougher to find.....We don't have bears, but we do have lions and coyotes.....Dope growers?.....Used to see their work in the forests, but haven't for quite some time.....May be because our creeks and streams are very low or dry.

.https://eur03.safelinks.protection....OGZSsglh7eUSbP4enW1L4hZ4jTKoUauDs=&reserved=0

I know of more than a few spots where a good burn would help... My old go-to rabbit spot, where I'd also see deer regularly, now has 5 foot tall weeds that make it tough to see deer, let alone bunnies.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I've found two this year alone about 100 yards from each other, in the same manner. Someone is eating well up there.

What now 4 generations without any enemies? Can't say it is a surprise.

As if lions wasn't enough to worry about. I recently heard about a bengal tiger that was seen just on the south side of the US/Mexico border in the town of Jacumbe. I don't know the validity of the sighting, but it was enough for US Border Patrol agents in the area to be made aware of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
As if lions wasn't enough to worry about. I recently heard about a bengal tiger that was seen just on the south side of the US/Mexico border in the town of Jacumba. I don't know the validity of the sighting, but it was enough for US Border Patrol agents in the area to be made aware of it.
Lol my buddy and I were joking about this while hunting in that area recently.. but yea it's a hoax I guess. The tiger stories I've heard are (1) a guy in Boulevard with exotic pets let one escape; and (2) Lions Tigers and Bears wildlife sanctuary in Alpine lost one and didn't want to create a panic so they covered it up. Personally I'm more interested in whatever happened to that black bear seen off Inkopah Rd...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Perhaps it's been an urban legend for some time, but it's not to say it's not possible. You hear about tigers and panther cubs being seized at the ports of entry (in Otay and Calexico) all the time where smugglers are trying to bring them into the U.S. However the one I speak of was seen one the south side (Jacumbe, Mexico) just south of Jacumba, California. I do know these exotic animals are kept as pets by narcotic traffickers but sometimes escape from the keepers and/or get to larger to handle to manage and are released without consideration for others. Just saying it's quite possible...

Wheather true or not, I enjoy the story telling, good entertainment while I wait for deer season! Thanks guys!

OK then. We CAN shoot a Bengal tiger. Or does California protect Urban Legends as well.
Which obviously begs the question, can we take Bigfoot with a bow?

Reactions: msailor
Will be Glad when the opener for deer archery starts on Saturday.
To many bored hunters. O ya I know a guy up the road saw the bear and big foot. In a very remote area.
But I will never tell.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu