why eradicate san diego pigs

Gary 619

I don't normally write rants like this but this topic has been bugging me for awhile. Just recently I had a conservation with one of employees from the company that is hired to eraticate the wild pigs in san diego county. After our conservation I was even more put off about the whole subject. So here is my rant, I would like to know what research has been done to support such a extreme solution to spread of wild pigs in san diego county. I asked the employee why they where eradicating the pigs his response was they are detrimental to the habitat, crops and they are a nuisance. Now I know in places like Texas, central California and I'm sure in other parts of the country pigs can really cause problems for farmers and their crops. I don't know about you guys but the last time I was in houser canyon or down in La presa valley I didnt see much crops, just saying. He also stated that the rooting that the pigs do hurts the habitat. I ask of you next time you find rooting and not fresh rooting but a few weeks old rooting, look deep into the area of the rooting and you will find life. You will find sprouts from different kinds of wild grasses, oak sprouts and other spouts from what ever else the pigs have been eating. It's almost like the state and federal government departments that contract these company's just take their research from other states or different counties in California. Instead of going to the extreme of eradication why not try to manage the population by helping out the hunter with making these areas that the pigs hold up in more accessible to us by unlocking gates that block public land or how about lowering the pig tag prices. It just bothers me that because of research based off of other habitats, as a hunter I'm losing a chance to have another speices to hunt and put food on my table that is close to home which is huge to a budget hunter like my self. Anyways that's my rant please feel free to disagree with me or tell me I'm in left field... just wanted to see what other people think about this topic.

We are with you........but this state is not.

So many reasons why this happens it's a long chat.
Stay the course and remove the locations you spelled out in your post and just keep an eye out when you see fresh sign and get it done!

Pigs will increase with more cover so hope for rain. All the county did was educate the pigs and spread them out after the 20 or so they trapped. Pigs are not dumb and we took one two weekS ago in SD but it was hell getting it out......

Also It looked like one was killed on the west bound 8 last Saturday. I was returning from the youth pheasant hunt and it was black, longer hair than any dog just right for a winter and much bigger than a dog plus in the right area.....its was a pig!

Just talked to one of my hog dog buddies he's hitting it after the rain this week......we know they are there just have to have the timing right to get it done

Good luck!

Here's one I got in SD 4 years ago when we had rain.....where's my rain dancer? Damnit!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    959.4 KB · Views: 32
Nice hog BTW...

Larry, I totally agree. One of the arguments I heard against us hunters though is that hunter take was estimated to be small and wouldn't do enough to cull the pigs, since they've gone mostly nocturnal and have been pushed into the roughest reaches of the county, making it tough for the average joe hunter without dogs. But I think in the end it does come down to the powers-that-be simply don't want to allow legal public hunting, even temporary, into areas normally off limits like Morena and such (liabilities I assume?).

Anti's hate non-natives almost as much as they hate hunting.....We as a Fish & Wildlife Commission voted to allow hunters take care of the problem.....The county decided professionals were a better choice as did Vista Irrigation Dist.

ps.....Just got a report one was killed near Eagle Peak Rd. recently.

Exactly sprig, the enviros want any non native animal removed. Return it to the way it was before European man wrecked the world.

They are in the same areas they have always been in you just have to spend a few days in a row and have some luck to get it done.

Dogs do help but it's not the only way to get them on the ground

Back