Wireless Trail Cams

barretwm

Oct 20, 2018
I’ve seen a few either with ATT or Verizon data packages, are they worth it? I am in the market for some cameras just don’t know whether to go low end because someone is probably going to steal it or invest some money into it, thoughts?

I’ve seen a few either with ATT or Verizon data packages, are they worth it? I am in the market for some cameras just don’t know whether to go low end because someone is probably going to steal it or invest some money into it, thoughts?
If private property go for it, not public land. It could get stolen. And not necessarily hunters.

I have a MoultrieMobile running AT&T. I think it’s worth it. Bought it in CA but in NM cellular trail cams are not allowed. (Willing to sell)

I usually hang cameras in pretty remote places and I’ve never had anyone take them or damage them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are putting up your cams in an area where people might see it, use a bear box or a python lock or both. I used both on one of my cams one year and got some photos of people looking at it, but no one took it. They probably would have taken it if it was just strapped on to the tree. Once I found out people hiked in the area, I took it down. I would definitely avoid spots that have trails close by.

Used them for years and they are fun but I had 2 stolen this year. Both where locked down to tree so someone made effort to cut cable and remove.

I have a spypoint link-micro camera that works pretty good, I'll buy an aftermarket antenna to boost my signal at times.

I used this one in the dessert the previous year: Spypoint Link Micro Trail Camera
I left it for 3 weeks in the area with good AT&T signal. If you set all options properly it catches every valid movement and gives pretty good pictures.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 23
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 24
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 18
  • image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 18
  • image5.jpg
    image5.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 18
  • image6.jpg
    image6.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I have a MoultrieMobile on Laguna. Works great. Only issue I have with them is the battery life. If you get any kind of high wind day, it’s gonna take a lot of photos and upload them to you. I wish it had some kind of tech that would only send animal photos, just to save batteries. The app sorts the photos by animal. App is pretty decent. I have the 6000. I think it only cost $100 on sale. The AT&T version.

With high traffic I’m getting about 5 weeks of battery. With light traffic I’m getting about 7-8 weeks. It really depends on what your settings are. I keep mine at uploading once per day, and only taking one photo with a one minute delay. And always cable lock them. Although I have have three trail cams stolen over the last couple of years. All cable locked. Locks only keep honest people honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu