Wister 12/7 - just how bad will it be?

Dave3006

Nov 26, 2019
Wister is getting more rain today. I have seen some of the pics from last weekend. It kind of reminds me of the John Candy mud wrestling scene from the movie Stripes (minus the girls).

How bad do you think it will be by this Saturday?

PDVD_074.0.jpg

Last edited:
Settle? You call that settling?? I was at Wister this morning setting up around 4 AM when it started raining on us we packed everything back to the truck and left. waited around till 730 and it started pouring. Seems like we made the right decision to get out before things got really bad.

Wow. You made the best of your situation.

Any expert opinions if Wister will be possible to hunt on Saturday without a $700 tow truck bill?

Separate question - One time at SJ, we walked to our spot from the check in station. Has anyone ever done that at Wister?

Any expert opinions if Wister will be possible to hunt on Saturday without a $700 tow truck bill?

Separate question - One time at SJ, we walked to our spot from the check in station. Has anyone ever done that at Wister?

Yes. Walk in spots can go quickly on those days.

Passed on a #12 this morning at Wister...The place is under water...Couldn't hunt the club either...San J is hopeless without a rez...Had to settle on "The Shaw"...…. ;)

.View attachment 42176
Steve, that bread fed Mallard in your left hand is a toad... I thought it was a goose. Did it have any Cheetos or popcorn in it's gizzard?

Reactions: TRICER
I was sitting in my office this morning and all I could think about is what a ducky day it was outside. Good job Steve!

Dave,

I've walked more times than I want to remember in that mud...Like was mentioned, spots that are somewhat drivable, will go early...No spot will dodge the 10 lb mud foot...lol

Nick,

The mallards at "The Shaw" are pretty much migratory with locals mixed in...Sunday (MCC day), we had some that had those red, red legs...I know of 2 that were banded in Alberta and one I got at Vail Lake was from Wyoming...Mallards are just that much bigger than widg, especially when it's raining (wet).

Despite a really good hunt with my buddy Mike today & Jacob Sunday...The lake is really lacking in birds...Maybe 400 widgeon with another 100 others is nothing for a lake this size...Mixed in a honky tonk Sunday too.

Big walks (or own a boat), a 2 day ordeal to set-up, and 50 bucks a pop to hunt the lake...Blanking like most are doing, is a tough pill to swallow.

.007.JPG

nice job Steve...getting it done

I was able to reach someone on the phone at Wister. She said the roads are real bad. She went on to say that the guys aren't driving the refuge because they don't want to get stuck.

Typically, how many days does it take until the major roads are driveable?

I was able to reach someone on the phone at Wister. She said the roads are real bad. She went on to say that the guys aren't driving the refuge because they don't want to get stuck.

Depends on how much sun & wind it gets...Dries pretty fast in most cases (red clay roads never dry)...I've been told that the campground will not dry this season...Different kind of mud & silt...:D

Unfortunately there is nothing typical about the amount of water blowing through the valley recently. New bridges out, canals breaching and blowing out, numerous county roads that look like they are going to be impassable from erosion before this last rain.

Reactions: chessie and TRICER
Unfortunately there is nothing typical about the amount of water blowing through the valley recently. New bridges out, canals breaching and blowing out, numerous county roads that look like they are going to be impassable from erosion before this last rain.
Called the water company recently after getting an $800 bill for filling my pool. They raised my rates during the drought and I am always getting excessive use charges now 5 kids and a granny flat will do that. I asked if they were going to lower the rates now that the drought is over. That was a big negative lol. All this water and no way to retain it.
Hopefully salton sea fills up a little. That would be huge for the birds.

Called the water company recently after getting an $800 bill for filling my pool. They raised my rates during the drought and I am always getting excessive use charges now 5 kids and a granny flat will do that. I asked if they were going to lower the rates now that the drought is over. That was a big negative lol. All this water and no way to retain it.
Hopefully salton sea fills up a little. That would be huge for the birds.

Yup. A water system based on snow melt. Rainwater seems to go straight to the ocean.

I work in the utilities world, but I sure love being on a well at home.

Reactions: TRICER

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu