Wister algae bloom?

Chris,

There's going to be a 5 person panel that will meet with Richard Kim (Scott's boss) after the season (I think you may be part of that)...It's a start...The proposal and sites you mentioned are just the tip of the iceberg...And we're talking millions of dollars to fix what CWA did for Wister just within the last 5 years...Have you seen 413?...That project was just completed 2 seasons ago and it is almost totally overgrown already...Salt cedar and atriplex are relentless and if you don't stay on top of it, you get what you have now.

Last edited:
Reactions: outdoorhero42
How did you guys stay on top of it back in the day, Steve? As a hunter, I was always disappointed to see one of my favorite areas "moonscaped", but that seemed to be the most effective way to manage overgrowth. A necessary evil. We seem to have gotten away from that practice.
-Bring Back W11A

How did you guys stay on top of it back in the day, Steve? As a hunter, I was always disappointed to see one of my favorite areas "moonscaped", but that seemed to be the most effective way to manage overgrowth. A necessary evil. We seem to have gotten away from that practice.
-Bring Back W11A

Because we had a about 12-15 folks working at Wister...2 full time tractor operators, 3-5 techs, 5 seasonal aides...Plus a Supp ll, Supp l and biologist, on site.

We also didn't have the salt cedar they have today...Although, it was there...We also had the narrow dikes on most of the areas...Wister was "farmed" for honkers and pintail (lots of wheat)...Remember, until the early 90's, there were feeder clubs surrounding Wister...When these clubs quit feeding, pintail numbers started to fall.

Now. it's really not "farmed" for anything...Millet needs to be planted...Water grass is in the water...Alkali bulrush is in the water (needs some summer water)...Goose fields are planted, but 90% of the hunters at Wister are duckers...Swamp timothy (favorite of widgeon) needs to be spring irrigated...I can show you foot tall timothy in S20 1& 3 just a few short years ago.

First and foremost IMO is to clear the dikes...Fix and breaks that have happened...Clear areas around each blind site...I would start with about a 100 yd circumference...This would get us started on having a 100 or so blinds...Each of these areas would either be planted in strips on the outside edges of these rectangular or circular areas...Water structures are in place in almost every area thanks to CWA...Moonscaping was done to control the vegetation...It was not done by the state (again, 413 is a perfect example)...Now, it's a matter of cleaning up the jungles...Again!

None of this is going to happen over night...CWA can play a major role, as can DU...If you're a member, make yourself heard.

ps...We need a NEW D-7 and equipment...Hopefully, the squeaky wheel will get some oil.

.IMG_7234.JPG073.JPG

Last weekend was pretty rough at wister. Fly off was super slow. Only shot at 2 ducks by the time I called it at 11. Luckily I didn’t miss them (that never happens). Left at 11 with a pintail and a teal. Hopefully this weekend’s better but I’m definitely not gonna hold my breath.

Last edited:
Hunted Wister today...To say it was slow is an understatement...Water was fine, but the lack of swamp timothy will hurt in the long run...Got 2 shovel dogs right off the bat and that was it...I actually took this spot figuring, I would get my one sprig...Never saw one and left at 11:30 am.

.View attachment 41916
Come hunt the bay with us Steve..

Chris,

There's going to be a 5 person panel that will meet with Richard Kim (Scott's boss) after the season (I think you may be part of that)...It's a start...The proposal and sites you mentioned are just the tip of the iceberg...And we're talking millions of dollars to fix what CWA did for Wister just within the last 5 years...Have you seen 413?...That project was just completed 2 seasons ago and it is almost totally overgrown already...Salt cedar and atriplex are relentless and if you don't stay on top of it, you get what you have now.
I’m really hopeful that this committee approach with someone higher ranking can get the ball rolling towards a correction of the travesty that has been allowed at Wister. There are many hunters we all know that have hunted for years and have the knowledge of what can be once again. Choose wisely. Beyond this committee I would suggest an open forum either at Wister or an online forum where those who use the Refuge can give input from their experience as to what projects could benefit all. This forum could also allow for us to hear what has been discussed by the committee and DFW and hopefully re-energize the volunteer and ownership feeling of us hunters that use this unique place . Timeliness of starting as soon as possible is critical as this will be a long term list of projects but hopefully a renewed purpose can start so we don’t lose another year before anything gets done . Just my opinion, Old Quack 49

Reactions: ilovesprig
I’m really hopeful that this committee approach with someone higher ranking can get the ball rolling towards a correction of the travesty that has been allowed at Wister. There are many hunters we all know that have hunted for years and have the knowledge of what can be once again. Choose wisely. Beyond this committee I would suggest an open forum either at Wister or an online forum where those who use the Refuge can give input from their experience as to what projects could benefit all. This forum could also allow for us to hear what has been discussed by the committee and DFW and hopefully re-energize the volunteer and ownership feeling of us hunters that use this unique place . Timeliness of starting as soon as possible is critical as this will be a long term list of projects but hopefully a renewed purpose can start so we don’t lose another year before anything gets done . Just my opinion, Old Quack 49

Larry,

I have access to a lot of media outlets...Everyone who wants to know, will know how the meeting goes and what will be done...My guess is we will need the publics help...Oh, and you're right...We can NOT waste or lose another year.

Last edited:
What do we know about the new manager? Does he hunt? Does he have experience at other refuges?

His name is Aurelio...He currently works at San Jacinto W.A....He worked at Wister for awhile....Don't think he hunts.

His work will be cut out for him working with the criticism that will come with the job at Wister....I do not believe he has any management experience...Wish him all the best and that he can work with his crews to make Wister a better wildlife areas.

Reactions: chessie
OK , important discussion of Wister’s future but ... back to the OP question of the water. Was anything discovered and was anything said at yesterday’s check in ? I don’t value much as much as I do my Buddy . Old Quack 49

Reactions: skeet
The way this year is starting they won’t get a report on the water quality and will keep the site off the board all year . Old Quack 49

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu