Wister and San J waterfowl counts

TrapLine

Feb 21, 2019
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Has anyone come across any info or have an opinion of past waterfowl counts for San J and Wister? Trying to figure out which ducks dominate the areas every year.

I was reading about building a decoy spread based off the WA’s population to closely mimic what is in the area to
look more natural. For instance if there are more mallards than anything else in the area to put out a large number of mallards and then throw in a few of the other waterfowl found nearby.

There is kill counts but limits would throw those numbers off.

Jeremy,

Here's my 2 cents (not scientific... ;) )

Ducks really do like to decoy to their own kind...Hence, I normally have a few of each species in a given set...Adding your white drakes (pintail, spoonies, Cans) can be attractant as well.

Our most popular species have changed over the years...For instance, in the 70's to early 80's pintail were king at Wister (There was no San J)...Then in the late 80's to early 90's duck numbers went way down (drought & changing farming practices in Canada) with a 4 05 bird limit...By the late 90's, early 2000's, we were back to a 7 duck limit, but the dominate species had become green-wing teal & spoonies...Now, our numbers at Wister and San J are enhanced by gadwalls & mallards with pintail being the 4th most shot duck (1 or 2 bird limit doesn't help)...I think with the Salton Sea changing, it's brought change to Wister and surrounding duck clubs...Hoping spoonies find their way back some day.

Widgeon last season were the lowest I've seen at Henshaw...The lake despite having high water, has changed with willows starting to surround the lake...Food is king

Blue-wing teal which were quite rare in SoCal...Now are included in most every shoot day ( I even bought BW decoys)...Cinnamon teal number are better as well.

Mystic Lake having water changes the dynamics of San J too...Last year, I witnessed more pintail & spoonies there, but way less widgeon it seemed working San J...The inside of San Jacinto has changed too...Instead of open water (liked by widgeon, pintail, spoons), we now have tule laden ponds (teal, gadwalls, mallards).

ps...Back in the 70's, 80's, early 90's, you almost never saw mallards at Wister or San J...Then there was a mallard raising program by folks like Leon Lusika, Walt Slovak, and Mystic lake Duck Club.

The CWA magazine used to have a count by species and by WA or region I think. But adding to Steve's great summary, GWT and cinnies are by and large the majority of what I shoot on the sea on opener and the first few weeks. Then later on in the season some spoonies work in, along with some BWT late in season and the usual odd gadwall or greenhead. And don't forget your ONE sprig you're allowed.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu