Wister and San Jacinto - Water, Quotas 2021

Duckfan

Mar 7, 2015
Hello all

As a member of CWA’s Public Lands Hunter Committee, I reached out to Scott Sewell regarding the anticipated water situation and Hunter quota expectations.

All over the state, there will be closed refuges, delayed openers and reduced Hunter quotas.

Water will remain a huge issue into the future and costs continue to rise.

Here is the good news from Scott, and I caution everyone that things can always change, in drought years especially:

“As of right now both SJWA and IWA will be on schedule for a 95% full flood up by the waterfowl opener.

This will unfortunately be the last year we will be able to produce these great expectations as IWA is dependent on the Colorado river and that entity is showing a reduction to all of its users going forward.

SJWA will be facing much higher water costs in the coming years that will impact the flood up as well next year.

We, (IWA and SJWA) are the few that will have full capacities this opener and will be drawing its normal reservation amounts. IWA will pull 100 reg resi’s and 4 disabled, SJWA will pull 50 reg resi’s and 2 disabled.

The water crisis is impacting all WLA’s statewide and its only getting worse. The reality is that we could have larger impacts to our So Cal WLA’s this season sooner that expected but time will tell. I hope this info helps you all.”

I want to THANK SCOTT for sharing this with all of us and I hope all of you enjoy a wonderful and safe waterfowl season.

Rick

I was very happy to hear you’ll have regular quotas of hunters .

so many refuges will not!

get those reservation applications flying. ;)

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Shure wish they would flash the dang place in the spring.....I seen timmothy that was green the other day and that only came from the recent rains....had nice heads on it......just not enough

.20210909_062733.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nimrod
Shure wish they would flash the dang place in the spring.....I seen timmothy that was green the other day and that only came from the recent rains....had nice heads on it......just not enough

.View attachment 50835

Mike,

Wister has so much potential for timothy and bulrush, but if they're going to cut water next year for the hunting season...Sadly, I don't see any spring irrigation at either Wister or San Jacinto in the near future...:worried:

San J 10 years ago....

.san j 6-18-11 058.JPG

Went down to the IV yesterday for last first season dove hunt. Spent a few hours driving Wister.
The place looks nice ! More water in place at this time than in several years. Fields ready for water; and most notably Wister staff was working on discing last section on North end of Closed Zone field. Remainder of field was finished disced and free from weeds.
Kudos to the Wister staff for all their hard work this off season !!!

Yep Steve seen heads of timmothy big as my thumb at the jac.before....and I do remember a couple times they did flash at Wister. Most folks dont realise what it does.....even more so with the sea shrinking....flight paths changing....

Im happy with early water at wister this year. That’s already a much better sign then the last two years.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu