Wister - Any news of water availability?

Dave3006

Nov 26, 2019
With the megadrought in process, has anyone heard if water will be a problem for us at Wister? Even during a good year, fields can be less than ideal.

With the megadrought in process, has anyone heard if water will be a problem for us at Wister? Even during a good year, fields can be less than ideal.

Pretty quiet out there these days, but have heard they've done a bunch of work....Anyone hunt on there?

They should of had a Hunter input meeting. I e mailed him and all I got was that time got away from him and no meeting scheduled … yet.

he said he’d e mail me if they did schedule one. But haven’t heard a thing.

I wish they would at least post up their flood up plan as of now.

All other regions have had public meetings. It’s a violation of law to not hold a meeting annually.

SCOTT : If you are following this thread, can you advise please?

Scott doesn't visit the wildlife area, as seen in the past years how it was neglected...2nd, if you read the article on Scott at SJ years back. You would see he's above the law.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: slinky_70
The water for Wister comes from the colorado river and they should be able to get all the normal water this year. Once Lake Meade falls below a certain threshold then all bets are off but for now, they should get their water.

There were a lot of CWA funds spent at Wister this past season-lets hope they continue the improvements and the birds respond.

Someone needs to go take some pics of the work and give an update on what has been done. W11 area and Y15's were being worked according to the grant info. Ill be out that way in a few weeks and Ill poke around if no one has by then.

The water for Wister comes from the colorado river and they should be able to get all the normal water this year. Once Lake Meade falls below a certain threshold then all bets are off but for now, they should get their water.

There were a lot of CWA funds spent at Wister this past season-lets hope they continue the improvements and the birds respond.

Someone needs to go take some pics of the work and give an update on what has been done. W11 area and Y15's were being worked according to the grant info. Ill be out that way in a few weeks and Ill poke around if no one has by then.
I heard Hazard got a complete haircut, that’s going to screw the white bird “sneakers/poachers”. CWA project there too

Hopefully someone had there thinking cap on & transplanted some of the alkali bull rush that in y15s before the work started ,be nice to see more alkali bullish on the refuge again,instead of all being in 114 closed zone

They should of had a Hunter input meeting. I e mailed him and all I got was that time got away from him and no meeting scheduled … yet.

he said he’d e mail me if they did schedule one. But haven’t heard a thing.

I wish they would at least post up their flood up plan as of now.

All other regions have had public meetings. It’s a violation of law to not hold a meeting annually.

SCOTT : If you are following this thread, can you advise please?
I asked this same question years ago why we never had a hunter input meeting. Never did receive an answer. There used to be a meeting during the area cleanups but those haven't happened in years also. Sad that the area is in decline

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu