Wister, camping, and no one picks up the phone

benCa

Nov 15, 2021
Hi. I'm Ben, I've posted in a few places around here, and I'm doing my best to be a likeable newb. New here, new to hunting, recently recovered from bankruptcy after purchasing my gear.

Going to Wister this weekend. Tthe reservation (#7!) provides a phone number for questions, but no one answers it.

Maybe one of you guys will know:

- I want to go saturday and camp. They do have a camping area.. as they call reservations at 3 AM, I'm assuming a good many sleep there that night? Do they? And if so, can I find it easily from the main office?

- I have waders, a call or two (won't use unless I'm confident after my youtube education), #bb 3 inch shells, getting #3 shells too. Warm clothes, and all of the, holy crap, papers that CA needs from me. Do. I bring a blind with me? Nice new one from Cabelas. From reading around here all day (instead of working), I'm guessing I should bring my 1 dozen decoys (everyone says I need 100 dozen, but I'm just a working man).

Anything else I should make sure to bring with me?

And it goes without saying, being alone in this and self-learning, I am absoltuely grateful for your comments!

I have slept there many times .. exit camp ground go left about a 1/ 4 mile up the road

Reactions: benCa
Thanks dude! Bug repellent is golden - i have none and had no intention of taking any.

Its going to be a rough day if you don't have a mentor. Go out early on friday morning and get to know the area and do some scouting. There is about 100+ ways to get a ticket out there that can run $1000+ and expect to see the game warden. Get a map at the check station and only drive the hunt road on the hunt days (Sat, Wed). The back of the map will have the property specific rules which you can also look up in the regs online. Only 25 shells in your blind. Know your duck ID and the limits for each type of duck. Get a duck ID book (Lemasters Waterfowl ID and USFWS ducks at a distance). Dont shoot at birds that are farther than 40 yds away. Know when shoot time starts and dont shoot early.

You only need BB and 100 dozen decoys if you are snow goose hunting. 12 decoys and 3" #3 are fine for ducks. Bathe in 40% DEET, Therma Cell, but still expect a couple hundred mosquito bites. Bring your ressie, licenses, stamps, and a Type A pass. Bring something to carry all of your stuff to your blind (wheelbarrow, cart, backpacks, etc.); expect a 0.5+ mile walk to blind. A soft gun case can be nice in the blind to keep your gun out of the mud. You will need to bring blind material; natural or otherwise. Gardening loppers and a seat. Temps can be cold in the morning and hot during the day. Hat and sunscreen. Water and snacks/lunch can be nice to have. Sunglasses and hearing protection. Headlamp. Trash bag to pick up your used shells and trash. TP.

Its going to be a rough day if you don't have a mentor. Go out early on friday morning and get to know the area and do some scouting. There is about 100+ ways to get a ticket out there that can run $1000+ and expect to see the game warden. Get a map at the check station and only drive the hunt road on the hunt days (Sat, Wed). The back of the map will have the property specific rules which you can also look up in the regs online. Only 25 shells in your blind. Know your duck ID and the limits for each type of duck. Get a duck ID book (Lemasters Waterfowl ID and USFWS ducks at a distance). Dont shoot at birds that are farther than 40 yds away. Know when shoot time starts and dont shoot early.

You only need BB and 100 dozen decoys if you are snow goose hunting. 12 decoys and 3" #3 are fine for ducks. Bathe in 40% DEET, Therma Cell, but still expect a couple hundred mosquito bites. Bring your ressie, licenses, stamps, and a Type A pass. Bring something to carry all of your stuff to your blind (wheelbarrow, cart, backpacks, etc.); expect a 0.5+ mile walk to blind. A soft gun case can be nice in the blind to keep your gun out of the mud. You will need to bring blind material; natural or otherwise. Gardening loppers and a seat. Temps can be cold in the morning and hot during the day. Hat and sunscreen. Water and snacks/lunch can be nice to have. Sunglasses and hearing protection. Headlamp. Trash bag to pick up your used shells and trash. TP.
LOL. Good lord, you sure aren't a duck hunting salesman!

This is gold, thanks man. I have Lemasters ID, nothing in the way of mosquito combat.

I got a decoy bag and a backpack that hopefully does the trick.

Thanks again, really grateful for that info.

BTW, this line, "Its going to be a rough day if you don't have a mentor."

Man do I ever feel that. *humbling* is the word I would use to describe self-teaching this stuff. I hire guides for the first time with any new game animal. Super helpful. Mendel taught me how to lead my doves. I shot 70 shells, didn't hit one bird. Mendel, out of pity, gives me a 5 minute lesson, I hit my limit well before firing all 100 shells i brought with me.. barely.

Also, when I say, out loud, the name, "Steve Rinella" I always pause and give thanks for a moment.

When I'm out there like a wild man, shooting everything that tastes great, I will very actively be giving back to young men.

#2s & 3s are good for the geese ,unless you are planning to send them to the closed zone!

BTW, this line, "Its going to be a rough day if you don't have a mentor."

Man do I ever feel that. *humbling* is the word I would use to describe self-teaching this stuff. I hire guides for the first time with any new game animal. Super helpful. Mendel taught me how to lead my doves. I shot 70 shells, didn't hit one bird. Mendel, out of pity, gives me a 5 minute lesson, I hit my limit well before firing all 100 shells i brought with me.. barely.

Also, when I say, out loud, the name, "Steve Rinella" I always pause and give thanks for a moment.

When I'm out there like a wild man, shooting everything that tastes great, I will very actively be giving back to young men.
Have you asked anyone to go with you?
Have you posted an introduction in the newbie den?
Have you posted anything in the looking for a hunting partner section?

Typically someone will jump at a ressie, even during the slow season.

Everything @Designed2Hunt said.. Thermacell as mentioned and gloves help a lot to keep the bug bites off the hands..they were thick last week..I hate those damn things!! Somehow I had mosquito bites on my inside thigh when I wore pants under my waders and even tucked my pants into my socks..

Have you asked anyone to go with you?
Have you posted an introduction in the newbie den?
Have you posted anything in the looking for a hunting partner section?

Typically someone will jump at a ressie, even during the slow season.
Haven't asked anyone, but I do have an old friend going with me who, at least, has duck hunted before.

I have not, but will..

Have not, and might not need to.

So, um, watcha doin this Sunday!?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu