Wister days numbered…?

CuppedUp

Nov 28, 2019
Welp,

I’ve seen this topic come up before but haven’t seen it discussed in its entirety. I’m sure anyone here that hunts wister has seen the geothermal stack located on Davis road off of Alcott the last season or two? Well, they’ve been busy….

I know last year they drained all the water west of Davis (no more “public ponds”). I did a little research and found what I believe will crush duck hunting at wister…

They’re building a 7,000+ acre geothermal power plant. From the project map I found online, it’s going to start right on Davis road and Pound (south west corner of the “S” ponds), and extend all the way up Davis just below the W12 ponds, and wrap around the west side of W12. It will also extend west toward the sea quite a ways.

My guess is ducks will not enjoy flying over a power plant to the entire south half of wister….

Also the clubs are being offered big money for their land and water rights from the geothermal companies. I wouldn’t be surprised if that area has 5-10 years max left of hunting

Don't the ENDANGERED Yuma Clapper live in that area.....Asking for a friend..... ;)

ps...Where the f*ck are the environmentalist when you need one?
If there aren’t Yuma Clappers there then someone needs to accidentally lose some there fast.

As far as the enviros, they’re busy clearing fields full of quail, rabbits, reptiles and every other form of life so they can install solar panels. Scraping it clean so not even a weed can live there. Now THATS green.

you guys answered your own question...

it was never the environment they cared about

Doesn't surprise me ! Just the noise that comes from Stage 1 shouldn't be allowed next to a Wildlife area.

I have always believed that after they put in the geothermal plants south of Union Tract it has affected the flight path and the number of birds that used to come up from Westmoreland every day.

I wonder if this whole expansion project is a done deal or a good fight in court.

I have been working with the US Fish and Wildlife Service for the past four years to restore habitat on my land so that native plants and wildlife can be restored to the region as they were before we arrived, If you are interested ( and I suggest you should be) I can give you contact info that may provide info and funding and enable the management of waterfowl the Salton sea . The state and the feds have different agendas and if the feds declare something endangered everything stops until it is figured out. Please know I am not leading the charge but can give contact info for folks you can talk to and maybe direct this outcome.. P.m. me of you want the info...

Reactions: 180ls1
Best laid plans. We will see. Who's going to work at that plant? Where are the going to live? The mud and sink holes in that area are brutal. The weather crazy hot. Time will tell.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Best laid plans. We will see. Who's going to work at that plant? Where are the going to live? The mud and sink holes in that area are brutal. The weather crazy hot. Time will tell.
Per their website, they said this would provide “X” amount of jobs in a highly low income area. They said it will also aid in the toxic dust concerns in the valley. The geothermal plant is also for the production of lithium to make our planet more “green” by providing batteries for electric cars…

Sounds like environmentalists don’t mind destroying the natural habitat of wildlife

That is sad. I escaped from Hellifornia 3 months ago. I feel bad for you guys. Wister was one of the very very few things I will miss. It is sad to see them destroy that too.

If we are honest, Wister has not been good for several years. I remember the mid 2000’s. It was amazing back then. This will be the final nail in the coffin.

I have heard that a lot of the clubs that are being courted are mitigation properties. When they put in an acre they are required to set aside 2 acres of wild land. They are also capable of drilling to the side so many wells can be explored from one spot.

I hope you are incorrect but wanted to chime in .

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu