Wister Draw

JWilliams

Nov 15, 2016
I drew Wister 11/7 #2.
Looking for any advice anyone could offer to new waterfowl hunter. I’ve got 18 decoys so far and just got a new pair of waders.

is it worth getting a call? Completely green when it comes to waterfowl.

Reactions: Stikbrandon
I drew Wister 11/7 #2.
Looking for any advice anyone could offer to new waterfowl hunter. I’ve got 18 decoys so far and just got a new pair of waders.

is it worth getting a call? Completely green when it comes to waterfowl.

Congrats on a great draw...You have enough decoys and a means to put them out and retrieve your birds...There's 2 calls you can buy that are relatively easy to blow and use...A Haydel's DR-85 and Buck Gardner widgeon whistle...Practice at your city park...It should have both mallards (DR-85) and widgeon (whistle).

Another thing you should really consider...Find someone to go with you (mentor)...ID'ing ducks in flight is not easy...If you make a mistake, it will be costly...At the very least, get a duck ID book or app on your phone....Good luck

ps...Read your regulations, backwards and forwards...Also, here on SCH, read the threads...Know your ducks.

Last edited:
Ya I downloaded an app for duck identification so that way I can reference that and then been trying to study their flight patterns.

I’ve been trying to get some buddies who I know do duck it’s just tough with them all having new kids to get out. Especially when they would rather be out doing local deer.

Don't bother with a call unless you know how to use it. It can be worse than no calling if you're doing it wrong. I'd put the money into a few more decoys unless you want to get a pintail whistle, which isn't too hard to use. Great draw though, good luck.

Plane a simple, you would be a fool not to ask the guy in post #2 to go with you based on his availability of course. knows the area very well, knows the birds and can call, seems like a no brainer. You can have 4 adult hunters and 2 Jr, hunters plenty of room. You will be lucky to even find the right parking lot on your own, before the morning (sunday) fly off and that can make or break your whole day....
Good luck And don't for get to report back.

Last edited:
Reactions: IVhunter
Plane a simple, you would be a fool not to ask the guy in post #2 to go with you based on his availability of course. knows the area very well, knows the birds and can call, seems like a no brainer. You can have 4 adult hunters and 2 Jr, hunters plenty of room. You will be lucky to even find the right parking lot on your own, before the morning (sunday) fly off and that can make or break your whole day....
Good luck And don't for get to report back.
He’s busy that day!! That’s closing day in D15!

Hmm. Burnin a 14 fer a 2.
LUCKY! Wish i had resi's to burn.
SHEESH. GJ n Get R Done

@JWilliams

just ask @ilovesprig to come with! Or ask him about his roommate @Hunter_r925.

Brandon,

Actually taking a brand new waterfowler out tomorrow to Wister...Hunter is joining us as well...Hopefully, Coley will get in some retrieves...Not liking the dead calm, 90 degree weather...Might be a lot of teaching, talking, and not much shooting after 1 pintail........lol

Reactions: Stikbrandon
Brandon,

Actually taking a brand new waterfowler out tomorrow to Wister...Hunter is joining us as well...Hopefully, Coley will get in some retrieves...Not liking the dead calm, 90 degree weather...Might be a lot of teaching, talking, and not much shooting after 1 pintail........lol

alway lending a helping hand bud ! You are a true sportsman !

Reactions: DoubleTrouble
Was able to find someone from one of the local varmint clubs who does duck and was willing to tag along. Looking forward to learning

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu