Wister Opener 2015

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Just spent 3 days at Wister putting up new directional signs, road closed signs, blind stakes, and clearing brush from view of signs.....With that said, Wister is Wister.....It's sometimes difficult finding your way around a big area like this in the middle of the night.....IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU'RE GOING, ASK.....Let's have a zero ticket season.

With the exception of the new parking lot 3A (across Honker Rd. due north of parking lot 3). Which will accommodate the new 413W area.....All parking lots are GPS'd on the Wister map.

There will be approximately 82 blinds available on the opener at Wister. With another 12-14 at Hazard....There will be some shallow water. So, if you have full body decoys or decoys without keels, bring 'em.....Doesn't mean this spot will shoot poorly. In fact, just the opposite with birds liking to feed in the freshly flooded stuff.

Few more things to remember......

Don't have any dove loads in your bucket.....Check to make sure.

25 shell limit of non-toxic

No alcohol in the blinds or while hunting.

Each hunting party must hunt together (no more than 6) and within a 100 yd radius of the blind stake....DO NOT MOVE BLIND STAKE.

Site S20 1, 3, & 5 must be hunted from the stake......1 & 3 are island blinds......No hunting from the intermediate signs (end of dike sign).....There will be a pole at your actual blind site.....If I missed one, please let me or management know.....W11D-1, 312C-1, and 413W-1 are islands as well and are recommended to hunt from.

Hazard Unit , the 100 yd radius does NOT apply.....100 ft from pit blinds or stake.....No more than 4 individuals may hunt any blind in Hazard or Union Trac.

If you have any other questions. Especially, if this is your 1st time out there. Please call or PM me.

Steve.....760-803-hunt......(I do NOT text)

Pix from this week......Enjoy

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    242.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    660 KB · Views: 78
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    390.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    307 KB · Views: 54
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    425.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    625.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 048.JPG
    048.JPG
    398.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 041.JPG
    041.JPG
    662.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    594 KB · Views: 62
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    668 KB · Views: 58
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    305 KB · Views: 59
TJ,

Last year, everyone that was there was on by noon......Over 2000 ducks shot......With D-16 opening the same day, it will thin out the crowd I'm guessing.

ilovesprig said:
TJ,

Last year, everyone that was there was on by noon......Over 2000 ducks shot......With D-16 opening the same day, it will thin out the crowd I'm guessing.

I didn't get on until 2:45pm......

fallguy said:
ilovesprig said:
TJ,

I was told yesterday everyone was on by noon....Were you there at 3:00 am and the lotto Friday night?

fallguy said:
ilovesprig said:
TJ,

Funny Way......That's because you waited all day for our spot......And it was worth it...... ;)

Attachments

• IMG_9026.JPG
    IMG_9026.JPG
    574.8 KB · Views: 49
Okay some here help me understand how is works, I did not get drawn. Sad day. Am I better off hunting nearby BLM land or waiting for a spot and if so how does that even work? Sorry it's only my second season and will by my first opener alone

QS,

Welcome to SCH.......If you're there before 10:30 pm Friday night, you can get into the lotto for the sweat line.....If not, you can show up Saturday and get on the waiting list. If there's no one waiting list, you can pick any spot off the board that's available. You can also do this, if guys have passed on spots that are on the board....The last pick is at 3:00 pm.

Attachments

• duck opener 2010 006.JPG
    duck opener 2010 006.JPG
    546.7 KB · Views: 48
Don't forget that Wister and all state waterfowling areas do NOT sell stamps, day passes, or season passes.....For you guys that do hunt Wister on the opener.......Sportsman Catering next to the check station is open for business Friday and they DO sell stamps, day passes, and season passes. Frank also sells ammo, camo stuff, calls, bug spray, coffee, food, etc.

Attachments

• wister opener 2009 004.jpg
    wister opener 2009 004.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 46
Just got off the phone with Steve and I would like to say that it is nice to have someone as helpful as him to ask questions too. Thank you for being available Steve .

Stump7100 said:
Just got off the phone with Steve and I would like to say that it is nice to have someone as helpful as him to ask questions too. Thank you for being available Steve .

Dewayne,

Welcome to SCH and happy to help............All the best at the "Wis"........... ;)

Nice pics Steve....especially them specs! Wister looks loaded, should be a good opener for you boys, have a blast and be safe!!

sdhunter said:
Nice pics Steve....especially them specs! Wister looks loaded, should be a good opener for you boys, have a blast and be safe!!

Mike,

Good luck in NoCal........Every year I put in for Delevan & Sac......Keeping fingers crossed again this year....... ;)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu