Wister Opener - Averages

chessie

Sep 5, 2018
In case there was any doubt lack of water was the main issue at Wister this year for lack of ducks. From the DFG website, here's the Duck avg per year on the opener at Wister:

2006 -- 3.97
2007 -- 3.52
2008 -- 3.22
2009 through 2013 -- N/A
2014 -- 5.00
2015 -- 5.51
2016 -- 5.4
2017 -- 6.0
2018 -- 6.3
2019 -- 1.4 -- Banner Year.

• Wow
Reactions: Designed2Hunt
Duckfan, No they just didn't report in time. It probably won't ever be reported, similar to 2009-2013.

Hmmmm….I really wonder about those averages 2014-18
Steve i would agree those averages are inflated. it is extremely difficult to average 5-6 birds on any refuge. Not to say many did not shoot limits as we did shoot our limits on opening day but we also scouted for 2 days prior and no the area.

Straight from the DFG website. I believe everything on the Internet, it does not lie. A Teal Bonanza

2014 # of Hunters # of Ducks Avg. #1 bird #2 bird
1572019672882.png

1572019884173.png

1572019969715.png

1572020042493.png

1572020115317.png

Matt,

I've heard stories about these averages from a former employee and how important they are politically...6.3?...That means everyone that started the morning got limits...And basically EVERYONE that refilled as well...BS.

Reactions: chessie
Matt,

I've heard stories about these averages from a former employee and how important they are politically...6.3?...That means everyone that started the morning got limits...And basically EVERYONE that refilled as well...BS.
I don't doubt that. Easy to fudge, just post less hunters.

That kind of average kept the wolves at bay for another year with the direction that Wister was headed...Like I said, Rick got out, when the gettin' was good...And he could do nothing about the downgrade of the conditions and habitat (good soldier of DFW)

Reactions: chessie
Matt,

haha yeah that’s a lot of limits...really sad to have seen this downfall occurring.

Years ago, Western Outdoor News posted up an average at one of the Grasslands refuges.

It looked like the one Wister posted forum, last years opener. I had hunted there that day and I KNEW there was no way to was that good for ducks. But, I also knew there were coost shooters out that day. There are some families that did that a lot...probably ended up at some bad restaurant? :)

So, I called Bill Karr and suggested he contact that refuge and see if coots were added to the total ducks. Sure enough, he called me back and said they had added coots into the tally. That threw it off big time since that refuge was known for these families shooting them.

Did Wister have families that targeted coots on the opener last year? ;)

Did Wister have families that targeted coots on the opener last year? ;)
I really doubt, Rick...San J & Wister I think separate with & without coots (& geese).

Wister and SJ give average take numbers with duck averaged to number of hunters and with ducks, geese and coots averaged to number of hunters. Example Saturday at SJ 1.19 ducks per hunter and 1.30 waterfowl per hunter. Waterfowl is ducks and coots added (and geese too but they didn't get any Saturday).

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu