Wister - Saturday 12/11

Oh Gawd it was a very expected dog experience, lol.
Forget his res paper... I mean whatever pull it up on the phone
Forgot or couldn't find his federal stamp
Kept telling me about how the last time he was there he hunted a spot that had a lot of mosquitos and lots of heavy brush and sucked... picks that spot again.
The spot really sucked for his son since he had to stay on the levee and couldn't get close/see the most open sections.
He distracted me when I was looking to grab my hand pruners, told me to bring my hiking boots. I was like wtf would I want those for when I'm wearing waders? Said I might want to change into them when if it gets hot later. Anyways like an idiot I forgot what I was looking for a brought my boots out against my better judgement. Didn't use them and the hand pruners I forgot could of easily opened up the area and made it better.
He always wants me to wear his extra bush wookie gown. No. My waders are camo, my shirt is camo, my hat is camo, my face mask is of the bush wookie variety. The wookie poncho is going to get caught on stuff and it's not even a good color for out there. Pretty sure he brought it out there anyways.
I have no idea what pile of useless stuff he fills that pack with. I swear that thing is so heavy and large and 90% never came out. He overloaded his sons pack with stuff because it was heavy. Said a lot of the weight was water. Told him we're ducking hunting not going on a chukar death march. His back hurts later.
His waders leaked. He asks me how wet I am inside my new waders as if waders leaking and being wet inside is a normal feature lol.
Kept talking about the mud and how he wants to stay in the center of the road to avoid getting stuck. When scouting in the afternoon I had to stop him from driving into a spot that said closed to vehicles and remind him that weren't you saying things about getting stuck all morning??? The signs are there so YOU don't go out there and get stuck.

It was an experience. All and all I'd say it was very productive first visit for me. I almost think I learned more going with him instead of somebody that knows the place really well. The crappy blind location is what motivated me to scout out a ton of spots so now I'm informed with that info.
It is kind of funny how opposite some of our styles of hunting are. He's the I'd rather have it and not need it type (but then forgets an important thing cause he brings too much) where I like to figure out what is the least junk I can get away with is. If something happens and I don't have something I'll improvise.

Oh Gawd it was a very expected dog experience, lol.
Forget his res paper... I mean whatever pull it up on the phone
Forgot or couldn't find his federal stamp
Kept telling me about how the last time he was there he hunted a spot that had a lot of mosquitos and lots of heavy brush and sucked... picks that spot again.
The spot really sucked for his son since he had to stay on the levee and couldn't get close/see the most open sections.
He distracted me when I was looking to grab my hand pruners, told me to bring my hiking boots. I was like wtf would I want those for when I'm wearing waders? Said I might want to change into them when if it gets hot later. Anyways like an idiot I forgot what I was looking for a brought my boots out against my better judgement. Didn't use them and the hand pruners I forgot could of easily opened up the area and made it better.
He always wants me to wear his extra bush wookie gown. No. My waders are camo, my shirt is camo, my hat is camo, my face mask is of the bush wookie variety. The wookie poncho is going to get caught on stuff and it's not even a good color for out there. Pretty sure he brought it out there anyways.
I have no idea what pile of useless stuff he fills that pack with. I swear that thing is so heavy and large and 90% never came out. He overloaded his sons pack with stuff because it was heavy. Said a lot of the weight was water. Told him we're ducking hunting not going on a chukar death march. His back hurts later.
His waders leaked. He asks me how wet I am inside my new waders as if waders leaking and being wet inside is a normal feature lol.
Kept talking about the mud and how he wants to stay in the center of the road to avoid getting stuck. When scouting in the afternoon I had to stop him from driving into a spot that said closed to vehicles and remind him that weren't you saying things about getting stuck all morning??? The signs are there so YOU don't go out there and get stuck.

It was an experience. All and all I'd say it was very productive first visit for me. I almost think I learned more going with him instead of somebody that knows the place really well. The crappy blind location is what motivated me to scout out a ton of spots so now I'm informed with that info.
It is kind of funny how opposite some of our styles of hunting are. He's the I'd rather have it and not need it type (but then forgets an important thing cause he brings too much) where I like to figure out what is the least junk I can get away with is. If something happens and I don't have something I'll improvise.
Hahaha.. this is gold. Would love to see him in full ghillie at the check station.

Hahaha.. this is gold. Would love to see him in full ghillie at the check station.
Ha he wasn't in it then. I think he might of taken it off part way though and just used a headcover later.
May go down there again this weekend kind of want to try for quail of pheasant on Sat.

Have #24 for Wister on Saturday, December 11th. Once again, looking for someone who can continue teaching me.

Have my own firearm equipment, waders, decoy cart, 8 pintail dekes, 8 GWT dekes, two mojo ripplers, and jerk rig.

Might bring a friend along, a complete newb, but that's still up in the air.

Just let me know.

I was thinking of going that weekend. I'm a newb to duck hunting, only been to wister once but I did scout out 2 dozen blind spots last I was there so only went in blind once so to speak.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu