Wister

Oct 11, 2014
Hello everybody,

First off i would like to thank Sprig for the earlier post and getting the blinds setup, that is really great and much appreciated. I am a noob and did not realize that there was a 25 shell limit and stakes at the blind. The few times I was there last year I never saw a blind stake so I will keep a lookout for them for sure.

Also, the part about if you don't know where you are going ask is really true, I have setup in the wrong place before and the people there really did not appreciate that.

What is the deal with the Hazard unit, how do you get on there? Is it drawn for at the Wister station or something?

Also, does anyone know where to get the brush that they sell at the station and if not is there another type that is allowed at the blinds?

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it and am glad this site exists.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

MasterBlaster66T said:
Hello everybody,

First off i would like to thank Sprig for the earlier post and getting the blinds setup, that is really great and much appreciated. I am a noob and did not realize that there was a 25 shell limit and stakes at the blind. The few times I was there last year I never saw a blind stake so I will keep a lookout for them for sure.

Also, the part about if you don't know where you are going ask is really true, I have setup in the wrong place before and the people there really did not appreciate that.

What is the deal with the Hazard unit, how do you get on there? Is it drawn for at the Wister station or something?

Yup, you pick at Wister.

Also, does anyone know where to get the brush that they sell at the station and if not is there another type that is allowed at the blinds?

That is arrow weed. Lots of places you can cut and collect on your own, but people will be tight lipped. Arrow weed honey holes are hard to find close to Wister after opening weekend. Keep your eyes peeled for it. I always made collecting arrow weed a priority on my way down.

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it and am glad this site exists.

See answers above.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MB,

Glad you caught the 25 shell limit reg.....The fine is per shell over the limit.....Hunting 100 yds from your stake isn't cheap either.......I may have missed a spot, but every blind site should have a round silver post. Most do NOT have a # on them.

Arrow weed is the blind material is what everyone uses at Wister. It can be found around most any canal surrounding the area or in the IV.....As far as cutting natural stuff around your blind site.....Cut away, especially if it's salt cedar.

Hazard Unit is picked from the check station at Wister......About 12 huntable spots.....Thick water grass for the most part and pit blinds......The distance you can hunt away from the pit/stake is 100 feet, not yards.

Good luck

ps.....Pictures.....Intermediate sign, directional sign, and blind site post

Attachments

• IMG_7180.JPG
    IMG_7180.JPG
    539.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 041.JPG
    041.JPG
    662.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    668 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCF1128.JPG
    DSCF1128.JPG
    735.9 KB · Views: 52
Just wanted to let everyone know after having the worst and most frustrating experience to date at Wister (a day hunting still beats a day at work) the Hazard unit 2A, which is a pit blind, is not marked 2A. It is actually P1. Do not rely on the staff to tell you this as they are clueless and will tell you that they are not in charge of the Hazard unit.
I didn't get to the blind and actually ready to hunt until 30 minutes after shooting light, after searching for it for an hour due to being misinformed as to what the markings on the map meant (a dot means the parking area NOT the blind) then calling and being told that 2A was actually R1, then searching that area multiple times and not finding the pit, then calling and being told the area was actually P1.
My Dad took off work to go with me and was quite disappointed with the whole mess of getting to the blind and the staffs attitude towards the situation. It would be nice if they would at least update their information so this does not happen again.

I'm sorry to hear this.......Hazard is run by the feds, but I agree that you could have been told that the old 2A is no longer called 2A.....It's been P1 for quite some time.....There's been a number of other changes as well.....I will suggest AGAIN that the map needs to be updated (there's no 413A & B now either).

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Thanks sprig, not your fault. Hopefully other hunters will know now when they go. BTW I don't recommend the spot anyhow.

MB,

In defense of the guys working the check station, it is hard to know every spot. Things change quickly out there. The conditions of Hazard, which as of right now, pretty much suck (until snows get here).....I will get a sign up today at the check station about the name change of 2A, R-1, & P-1.

ps......2A used to be awesome.

ilovesprig said:
MB,

In defense of the guys working the check station, it is hard to know every spot. Things change quickly out there. The conditions of Hazard, which as of right now, pretty much suck (until snows get here).....I will get a sign up today at the check station about the name change of 2A, R-1, & P-1.

ps......2A used to be awesome.

2A- that brings back a lot of memories. Mostly of folded up canvasbacks skipping across the water.

Here's the latest map......Rick added the new 413W blinds (sorry for not knowing this)...... :-[

There's also info you can get by calling Sonny Bono NWR.....Ask for Chris.

Attachments

• 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    537.6 KB · Views: 48
Few other things after the opener..............

Please sign in at the kiosk, if you stay in the auxiliary campground.....No camping in the middle.

Please do not put dead duck carcasses in the dumpsters......They stink bad enough as it is!

And watch out for these...... :-\

Attachments

• 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    924.6 KB · Views: 42
ilovesprig said:
Here's the latest map......Rick added the new 413W blinds (sorry for not knowing this)...... :-[

There's also info you can get by calling Sonny Bono NWR.....Ask for Chris.

Thanks for posting the map steve.
2A is still labeled 2A on the map but the signage for it is actually P1, just a heads up.

Sprig, with all due respect, if they work there shouldn't they know what they are selling? I don't go there often so I don't know the blinds well either so I feel his pain, sprig you seem to know the area well and don't even work there. I think the employees should treat everyone like it's their first time there, even though I know time is very important to get everyone to their blinds ontime, hench better sinage..... Idle observation from a part time fowler

Thwacker said:
Sprig, with all due respect, if they work there shouldn't they know what they are selling? I don't go there often so I don't know the blinds well either so I feel his pain, sprig you seem to know the area well and don't even work there. I think the employees should treat everyone like it's their first time there, even though I know time is very important to get everyone to their blinds ontime, hench better sinage..... Idle observation from a part time fowler
That's a good point. I read these threads and I get cross-eyed. Seems my chances of coming home with a Grand in fines is better than my chances of finding my blind, and I've been to both places in daylight helping Steve with clean-up and having him show me around. I can't imagine trying to find my way around Wister or SJ in the dark.
Maybe not the employees themselves, but the system sounds bad. A very confusing system combined with harsh penalties for errors: bad combo in my book.
2 cents.

Guys,

This is public hunting!! Funded partly by your broke ass CA government and some funds coming from the feds and non profits . Paying the employees out there pennies on the dollar to live in the beautiful area of Niland.

DO NOT go there expecting everything to be handed to you. This isn't a private club with gravel walk ways to a blind you built for an entire season. (By the way not saying the staff shouldn't know the blinds because at a minimum they should know that or ask someone who does, but people do make mistakes).

Treat the refuge like another option for hunting. SCOUT IT like you would any other public land you would freelance. Build a network of guys that hunt there! Make friends, share info.

Don't take a spot you haven't hunted if you don't feel comfortable driving there in the dark. Doesn't hurt to wait to refill a better blind in the right conditions.

Your success will improve the more you hunt there. The more time you can scout. The more compadres you make.

It is a long season and there are weeks during the season when Wister will be really GOOD, but don't expect people to post it online. You have to go and experience it for yourself.

Good luck this season guys!

Reactions: 2dogs1name
Some good points, but public that you pay for, if you earn a wage earn it is the old school way, it's not like high country hunting or slough hunting, it's organized (or some what) I do understand what you are saying but if you are a hunter( let's stick together) that doesn't have a lot of time to scout public pay to hunt land that you might draw one card a year to hunt. someone government, state or someone should make it a bit easier to find your paid for blind, it's like sitting on state owned freeways traffic...... Irritating. Cliché.....2 cents

Ps.... I invite you to spend a work week or a weekend around the house with me and see that I don't expect anything handed to me

Thwacker said:
Some good points, but public that you pay for, if you earn a wage earn it is the old school way, it's not like high country hunting or slough hunting, it's organized (or some what) I do understand what you are saying but if you are a hunter( let's stick together) that doesn't have a lot of time to scout public pay to hunt land that you might draw one card a year to hunt. someone government, state or someone should make it a bit easier to find your paid for blind, it's like sitting on state owned freeways traffic...... Irritating. Cliché.....2 cents
Definitely agree with you there. Always room for improvement with the staff, adding more staff, more funding, etc.

The great thing about Wister is other than a few days a season you are pretty much always going to get on. If you stick around, with some wind afternoon hunts can be phenomenal. This allows you to really learn the place well.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu