X8 or x9b

I'm pretty sure we should encourage everyone to skip out on applying for X9a this year due to the HUGE die-off...allow those with low points to get in while the deer aren't as good ;)

So if there is a die off what good will a year do? It takes 3-5 years for a buck to become a good mature bucks correct. So if I can draw 9b with 3 points why not hunt it this year take my chances with the 60-70% that do survive and then go back in 3 years again? I just don’t see what a year is going to do, what am I missing?
My thought process is I can hunt the eastern Sierra’s every 3 years if I hunt 9b instead of waiting 6 for 9a. I always have the mindset that if you have a tag you have a chance.
Yes it takes that amount of time for a buck to be considered mature as far as age, there are other factors that contribute to a mature buck as well such and genetics and food but that’s beside the point in this conversation. That isn’t a bad mindset if you think you can draw that tag ever three years but I’m not sure you can. If your a guy with higher points you try and have a strategy to use those points on a year that is going to give you the best odds of killing a larger buck. If you just want to hunt go ahead and apply and then try and build up points to draw again in three years. With California you never know you may draw off of the random. All I was trying to say is there maybe less deer this season and less mature bucks due to the conditions and if the winters aren’t as harsh the following years the herd will rebuild and you will see more deer and larger ones. That being said no one can predict what will happen in the following years and there are big bucks in every unit of every state just less in some.

Yes it takes that amount of time for a buck to be considered mature as far as age, there are other factors that contribute to a mature buck as well such and genetics and food but that’s beside the point in this conversation. That isn’t a bad mindset if you think you can draw that tag ever three years but I’m not sure you can. If your a guy with higher points you try and have a strategy to use those points on a year that is going to give you the best odds of killing a larger buck. If you just want to hunt go ahead and apply and then try and build up points to draw again in three years. With California you never know you may draw off of the random. All I was trying to say is there maybe less deer this season and less mature bucks due to the conditions and if the winters aren’t as harsh the following years the herd will rebuild and you will see more deer and larger ones. That being said no one can predict what will happen in the following years and there are big bucks in every unit of every state just less in some.
I just want to solo hunt around 10,000 feet. I love the adventure. You never know unles you get out there maybe a big Bruin steps out or a monster buck stands up. Can’t shoot them from the couch. I have 3 points after this year in a lot of states so next year I will more than likely be out of state in UT, WY, OR, or CO chasing a bruiser. Stacking pints all over the west it’s gonna be a run for me the next couple decades.
I love hunting is it deer season yet. I am running three to five miles a day with a buck or bull in my head. This sport consumes me.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu