X8 or x9b

Question about the deer in X9b and along the Sierras in the Owens Valley in general. Are they migrating out of the NP's in D7 and D8 into the valley side?

Question about the deer in X9b and along the Sierras in the Owens Valley in general. Are they migrating out of the NP's in D7 and D8 into the valley side?

Are you asking about during the hunts or during the winter migration? There are resident deer down in Owens valley year round, and there are deer at all elevations all the way up to the alpine. The deer that winter down in the valley are coming down from higher elevations but not specifically from the parks. There is winter range on both the east and west side of the Sierra. I would imagine that the route they take is based on the route they were taken when they were with their mother.

Are you asking about during the hunts or during the winter migration? There are resident deer down in Owens valley year round, and there are deer at all elevations all the way up to the alpine. The deer that winter down in the valley are coming down from higher elevations but not specifically from the parks. There is winter range on both the east and west side of the Sierra. I would imagine that the route they take is based on the route they were taken when they were with their mother.
I wondering how much of the high elevation deer X9A/B go over the crest and into the far Eastern edges of D7/8. I imagine some do but a lot of those places are pretty barren up there and wondering how far they are migrating from.

I wondering how much of the high elevation deer X9A/B go over the crest and into the far Eastern edges of D7/8. I imagine some do but a lot of those places are pretty barren up there and wondering how far they are migrating from.

Don't let that barren landscape fool you....Man sized hunts, great bucks....Can't seem to find my friends Randy's buck he got in D-7 couple years back....Pretty sure this one is from D-7 as well.

/38497

Pretty tough to say how many but I don’t think the crest is necessarily a dividing line for which direction the deer go. The eastern slope is much steeper than the western slope, so in terms of distance the winter range on the east side is still closer than the western winter range if the deer are coming from that high elevation stuff near the crest.

Sprig is right, as barren as that stuff looks it still holds deer, and some of the bigger ones. I’ve seen plenty of deer way above tree line in my adventures in the Sierra.

Reactions: Jred and ilovesprig
I would disagree the winter has been hard on the ov herd and there will most likely be a large fawn/young deer and older deer that die off due to this winter.

Yep, I’ve seen it first hand in the Eastern Sierra’s! Winter kill is no joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lets wait for the herd count. It is coming up soon. We will know more then. I doubt we will see an increase in the tags for X9a, X9b or X12 for next season. That much is a given. No doubt this Winter has been tough but this cohort is not the same one who died off in significant numbers several years back. There is some argument to be made that they know to come down when the snow starts to pile up and not stay thinking it will just go away because that is what happened during the last few Winters when it was mild. The ones who survived ended up reproducing and teaching the young ones to head to the Winter grounds and not stay high. This is at least one school of thought. However, the loss of those deer in Round Valley during that one Winter was extremely sad. I am just trying to be optimistic. Besides, I am sitting on 4 points for X9a. I have to stay upbeat.

John

Lets wait for the herd count. It is coming up soon. We will know more then. I doubt we will see an increase in the tags for X9a, X9b or X12 for next season. That much is a given. No doubt this Winter has been tough but this cohort is not the same one who died off in significant numbers several years back. There is some argument to be made that they know to come down when the snow starts to pile up and not stay thinking it will just go away because that is what happened during the last few Winters when it was mild. The ones who survived ended up reproducing and teaching the young ones to head to the Winter grounds and not stay high. This is at least one school of thought. However, the loss of those deer in Round Valley during that one Winter was extremely sad. I am just trying to be optimistic. Besides, I am sitting on 4 points for X9a. I have to stay upbeat.

John
Well said John
I saving up points , wishful thinking on my part. Since my climbing up high is slowly degrading..
See how I do this year after quit smoking. Lol.

I’m not trying to poke the bear I just want to know what a significant winter die off is 5,10% or 20 to 30% or more ?

I’m not trying to poke the bear I just want to know what a significant winter die off is 5,10% or 20 to 30% or more ?

There was roughly a 33% die off in x9b and 40% in X9a, from 2016 to 2017. You could see a significant difference for sure.

Long term, big storm years are awesome. Deer bounce back quickly, but not in one season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu