Yes no till

sherpa

Nov 21, 2011
Flynn Springs
I have read a note from F&G saying lead in shot guns are a no no except Dove Quail&Snipe until 2019. I called the local office and was told that no lead in shotguns is allowed to hunt Dove Quail and Snipe. I have read and had a lot of people(with a lot of know page reading contracts ect)and their opinion is that it says it is ok until 2019, does any one know who to call to get a correct answer. Every one has a different opinion HELP

It is OK to shoot lead at doves, quail, & snipe until 2019........Except state wildlife areas, state preserves, and federal refuges.

ps......And of course, the condor zone.

Reactions: steveo007
I asked a warden at the shooting fair if euros & feral pigeons okay for lead?

After a little attitude from him......he said euros are dove so lead is okay and pigeons are not regulated by the F&W so you can't shoot them but he said no one is going to get a ticket for shooting feral pigeons.

My buddy asked why so vague he said he didn't write them.......must of been too hot for him that weekend lots of attitude from that warden

did you just interpret this from their news letter or did some one higher up tell you this? The phone call to fish and game said no lead shot. how can I get an official ruling on this

Thanks Jason.......This has been posted just about everywhere.......Dove, quail, snipe.......The folks that answer phones at DFW are about 99% of the time, not knowledgeable in the ways of hunting, fishing, or laws of DFW.

It's in the regs and on the CDFW website under the lead phaseout info.

https://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2015/05/14/nonlead-ammunition-requirement-approaches/

I called and talked to a Capt Dan Lehman in Sacramento he set me straight, lead is ok in shot guns(for Dove, Quail and Snipe) until 2019, the people at the SD F&G told me no lead. I called back after talking to Sacramento and they said lead was correct that some of the wardens were confused but got it straightened out. finally I guess I will have a few boxes of steel to save for 2019, if I live that long or things don't change

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu