you know what sucks about working your dog

Nice work!

just curious why you use his name to send him? Most use “back” so you can get him to go “back“ further when he is short of the mark in the field?

good looking dog!! Love those labs.

Nice work!

just curious why you use his name to send him? Most use “back” so you can get him to go “back“ further when he is short of the mark in the field?

good looking dog!! Love those labs.
good question!

so the logic is you use his name on marks he saw. We do 4 and sometimes 5 marks. you can hear me saying watch. that lets the dog know to look for marks. I whisper watch as birds come in. each time i line him up ill send him on his name and he for the most part remembers them. This also keeps the dog still when he needs to honor. if we all used back to send on marks they saw we would have a pile of dogs running every time.

The back command is only used for blinds. When i use that one he knows to run till i stop him and handle him to the mark. its only used once and that is just to send him, if all goes well. to stop him for corrections ill use a single whistle blast then send him with a hand signal not the back command. when he is close ill toot 4 times quick and he knows to put his nose down and find it.

Roger that. Looks like it’s working well. Good looking dog.

(wasn’t criticism, just curiously)

not taking as critical. i used to use back on every bird like you. Chip was a started dog by a field trials guy in South Dakota. They use the command like the way i talked about for obvious reasons so i changed my method.

There are many ways to train a dog and no one is really better than another in many ways some are just quicker and achieve the desired result faster. As Aeon said you should use what they have already learned and build upon it. To me dogs are a piece of software that has not been written when they are given to me. I listen to the owner and understand what they are used to and build the dogs skills on what the owner knows and has done and expects. Many times I explain to the owner once I have had the dog for awhile why I might have a better way once I understand the dog's previous experiences and have worked with it. But as I said before there are many ways to get there you also have to know and understand the dogs strengths and weakness and adjust your approach to the dog according to what they can do. Some dogs I can put a lot of pressure on and they respond to it because they are tough and have strong prey drive and other dogs I have to encourage and build confidence because they are timid. Dogs are just like humans some are smart and bold and some not so much you just have to read what you are seeing and adjust to it in a way that gives you success.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu