Archery Elk hunt blog --live updates ----

Aeon

just a dude who duck hunts
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Feb 16, 2011
Day one

The morning was just dead flat. I had a little spork come to the water and that was it. Stayed till 10am and split to go reset some cams. Dad glasses the big hills all morning for zero. Just a slow activity period ?

Mid day-

Went to the tank with the turkey pics and found some other hunters setup on the tank. Cr ap! They have their truck parked maybe 100 feet away so I figure they are just setting up. I wanted my camera back so I walked down. They had a blind set up right out in the open. No brush and front was down like a lemonade stand. They will prob shoot a400 inch bull.

1pm
Found a tank I was told about way out in bfe. Fresh elk sign all over it set a camera and I'll update tomorrow what I find. Great spot for a tree stand. Just wish it was not going to be so cold on Sunday.

When I tree stand hunt up in the angelus NF we hunt trails almost exclusively. Find a trail that's getting used and setup a tree stand. So I spent the early afternoon driving a burn area looking for some fresh trail love. I see one way up on a hill so I hike up and bingo tons of deer and elk sign. Cam set I'll see what's crawling around.

3:45
I'm back in the box this tank has had the biggest bull and the most activity but dead for the last few days. Let's see what comes in before dark

4:30 bored to death, think I have ranged every bush for 1k yards. Wind just kicked up a bit feels like it's about to rain front may be passing through.

Fail...... Today was the first day I did not see a elk. One down nine more to go.

Hit up doc Holliday's for dinner, cool restaurant I found in Williams. Good food and local beer :)

20141114_192826_zpsbkhzcgsx.jpg
I am not suffering to much

5:30 am 24 deg, zero activity on the camera. I'm in the box waiting for day light

6:00 freezing fog just rolled in.

6:48 dead quiet here, lots of light to shoot by 6:30 just nothing to shoot at. Fog has lifted a bit and I can see my whole area now.

8am
Sun hitting the tank now. I'm pretty sure it's over. I'll sit till 9 then oh check the cams I set yesterday. I think I need a change of scenery

Cams had nothing on them and the old man glassed up zero. I know they are here it's just funny they were more active with 800 general season deer hunters than 25 bow hunters

Went for a hike up high on a Ridge. Found some great sign tons of fresh turds. Set a cam, I'm curious to see if they use it during day light hours or not.

Not sure what I'm doing tonight.

Still hunting a odd ball area that has good sign. Decoy stalking :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 28
good luck, love the play by play ! what zone are you hunting elk ? are you hunting tule elk ?

So over night the wind blew hard, 50mph hard. Woke up to 19 deg temps burrrrrrr. It's 11 now and still 32.

Blew my first stalk on a nice bull this am. Cow soft busted me and they moved on. Found a good concentration of animals. Be back there shortly

Water hole cams are all but shut down. No clue why

This afternoon I made a bad call. Went to go look at a area I was told about before going up to the Ridge they use going from bed to food. When I got to the Ridge and hiked up to the spine the elk were already down. My stink was blowing right at them and busted was I. Could not have been there at a worse time. Group of about 8 elk with one raghorn bull.

Supposed to be 10 deg tomorrow morning, ouch, I have a plan but it's going to hurt

Thanks for the update Uncle Bill. I have a feeling you are going to hook up in the morning!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu